Proudly celebrating 100 years of service
The Fire Department celebrated its Centennial throughout 2019 with events highlighting the past, celebrating the present and inspiring our future.
Like other fire departments across Canada, many changes have taken place at the Fire Department since it was created in 1919. We started with 1 “fireman in charge” and today we have a 123 highly trained members working out of three fire stations.
The role of the Fire Department has expanded beyond just fighting fires. Today, we respond to a wide range of emergency incidents, provide fire dispatch 9-1-1 services, deliver fire prevention education programs, conduct building inspections and fire investigations, provide mutual aid to other municipalities and ensure Saanich is prepared for and able to respond and recover from major emergencies and disasters.
Celebration Plans and Activities
- 2019 proclaimed the "Official 100th Anniversary of the Saanich Fire Department" by His Worship Mayor Fred Haynes at the February 4, 2019 Council meeting
- Historical displays were set up for the public to view at Pearkes Library/Saanich Archives and Police/Fire Public Safety Building foyers
- Centennial kick-off and reveal of Rescue 1 apparatus featuring photographs to commemorate past and present Saanich fire fighters (Media release - Saanich Fire celebrates 100 years of service, March 12, 2019)
- On Saturday, September 21, 2,000 people attended the Fire Department's open house at Fire Station No. 1. The day's events included fire fighter rope rescue, auto extrication and fire ground survival demonstrations, emergency preparedness tips and information. Guests had the chance to experience what an 8.0 magnitude earthquake feels like as the QuakeCottage mobile earthquake simulator was on site for eveyrone to try. For kids there was fire hose stations, a bouncy castle, food and fun!
- In November, the Department welcomed 5 new members, presented 20 and 25 year service medals and 30 year service bars to deserving members and recognized retired members for their contributions to the fire service.
- In spring 2020, we will wrap up our Centennial celebrations with a monument and fire fighter memorial dedication in front of Fire Station No. 1.