Saanich has many committees and boards, most of which advise Council.
There are three primary types of committees (standing, select and advisory) that the Mayor or the Mayor and Council may establish. There are also statutory boards and authorities that senior levels of government establish.
2019 Committee Appointments List (updated August 2019)
Municipal Appointments to Advisory Committees
Saanich Council is looking to fill additional positions, including Youth Representatives, on the following Advisory Committees and the Saanich Heritage Foundation.
- Active Transportation
- Arts, Culture and Heritage
- Environment and Natural Areas
- Healthy Saanich
- Parks, Trails and Recreation
- Planning, Transportation and Economic Development
Anyone interested in being considered for such an appointment in 2020 must complete the application form below and submit it with a resume to the Legislative Services division by Friday, January 31, 2020, at 4:30 p.m.
Types of Committees
- Council establishes Advisory Committees
- Most include one Council member as Chair
- The Mayor establishes Standing Committees for special purposes
- The Mayor appoints all the members of a Standing Committee with at least half being Council members
Statutory Boards and Authorities
- Created through provincial and federal legislation
- Each board and authority has a unique function within the municipal framework
- Deal with specific technical matters