Saanich has many committees and boards, most of which advise Council.
There are three primary types of committees (standing, select and advisory) that the Mayor or the Mayor and Council may establish. There are also statutory boards and authorities that senior levels of government establish.
**Please be advised that the 2019 Council & Committee Appointments are still in process and will be posted once all of the appointments have been made.**
We are currently accepting applications for the following:
- Board of Cemetery Trustees of Greater Victoria, from a resident with experience in labour law or corporate law; and,
- Saanich Heritage Foundation, from a resident in the construction industry.
Please provide a resume and complete an Application for Appointment. The deadline for submission is 4:30 p.m., Wednesday January 30, 2019.
Municipal Appointments to Advisory Committees
If you would like to serve your community, you can apply in the Fall when we advertise for new members to sit on one of our committees in areas such as:
- Arts and heritage
- Transportation and pedestrian mobility
- Parks and recreation
Types of Committees
- Council establishes them
- Most include one Council member as Chair
- The Mayor establishes them for special purposes
- The Mayor appoints all the members of a standing committee
- At least half are Council members
- The Finance, Audit and Personnel Committee is the only existing Standing Committee
Statutory Boards and Authorities
- Created through provincial and federal legislation
- Each board and authority has a unique function within the municipal framework
- Deal with specific technical matters
- May include a Council member as Chair or liaison