What to do in a storm event:
Stay safe - look for downed power lines and keep a safe distance.
- Do not approach downed power lines!
- Contact BC Hydro at 1-800-BCHYDRO (1-800-224-9376) if trees or branches are interferring with power lines
- For important details see Safe distance from downed power lines (bchydro.com)
Keep calm and be patient - there likely are multiple households needing help.
Poperty owners are responsible for removing trees or branches on their private property.
- A tree permit may be required to remove or significantly prune a tree, even if it fell. Certified arborists can help make sure you follow the Saanich Tree Bylaw
- Small pieces of tree debris can go in your green curbside compost bin
- You can take larger bits to the Saanich garden recycling drop-off (see what you can or can't drop off) or to the Hartland Landfill
Has a tree damaged your property?
Think safety first. Do not stand under trees that have broken branches or look like they are ready to fall.
- Contact your homeowner's insurance company or auto insurace company
- Take photos
- Document what property structures were damaged by the tree
To request service for trees located on public lands, including boulevards, parks, beach accesses, and road allowances:
- Phone: 250-475-5522
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to be contacted as a follow-up to your request, please leave your phone number.
You need a apply for a Tree Cutting Permit to remove or alter a protected tree. This includes trees that are dead or dying.
- Refer to the Tree Protection Bylaw.
If you have a bylaw-protected tree:
- You can apply for a tree permit online
- You can call us at 250-475-5522.
You can also call a tree care professional to have a Certified Arborist assess your tree. We recommend International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certification or other recognized certifications like a Qualified Tree Risk Assessor.
Maintain your trees before severe weather hits:
- Proper pruning will help prepare your tree during future storms - follow ISA standards
- Plant the right tree in the right place - help reduce future problems
- Hire a certified arborist to regularly prune and inspect your trees
- Giving your tree water and nutrients can help it thrive. The ISA has great tips...
- Is it a public tree in Saanich? Contact Saanich Parks and we will perform the required maintenance.