Our natural environment is important. It makes our community beautiful and enhances our wellbeing. In urban areas, it cleans our air and water, attracts birds and wildlife and moderates our climate.
For more information, read Protecting the Environment in Saanich.
The environment and your property
Before you start any work on your property, find out more about:
- Environmental bylaws and policies
- Environmental planning tools
- Federal and provincial government requirements
Find out if you need a permit to:
- cut down a tree.
- place fill.
- clear vegetation.
- stabilize creek banks.
- other activities that affect the natural environment.
There are many ways to help protect our natural areas:
- Join your local community association or environmental stewardship group.
- Volunteer to plant trees or remove invasive plants, such as with the Pulling Together volunteers.
- Share your enjoyment of nature with others.
- Manage your property using the principles of Naturescape.
- Find out which watershed you live in and get involved.
- Be Green at Home.
- Join an environmental organization.