Do you own or manage a commercial or rental apartment building in Saanich? Please fill out our SURVEY to help us develop energy efficiency and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction incentives and programs that would be most beneficial for you.
The survey takes 20 minutes to complete. All participants will be entered to win one of four $250 draw prizes to Home Depot! Survey closes May 23, 2021.
Why electrify your business?
For vehicles and buildings alike, switching from a fossil fuel such as gasoline, diesel or natural gas to electricity can reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 99%, thanks to BC’s low-carbon hydroelectricity supply. While the benefits of electric vehicles are more widely known, electric heat pumps for space and water heating in our buildings are similarly beneficial for our climate.
The high efficiency of electric heat pumps (generally about 300%) means that the operating costs can be comparable to natural gas. Heat pumps also offer air conditioning and air filtration in the summertime – an attractive benefit as our summers become hotter and we experience more forest fires with climate change.
In addition to the climate-friendly programs listed below, there are a variety of programs to help improve your business’ energy efficiency offered by both BC Hydro and FortisBC. These include incentives for energy assessments, making energy-efficient upgrades, efficient equipment or even employee awareness.
CleanBC Commercial Programs
Three fuel switching and electrification programs are available to commercial customers, including multi-family residential buildings:
- CleanBC Custom, up to $20,000 for an energy study and $200,000 for capital projects,
- CleanBC Custom-Lite, up to $2,000 for an energy study and $72,000 for capital projects, and
- CleanBC Commercial Express, up to $100,000, no energy study required.
Free energy coach services to help guide you through the application and upgrade process. Terms and conditions apply. To get started, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.betterbuildingsbc.ca.
Building Benchmark BC
A free program that helps you monitor the energy and GHG data from your buildings and enables you to compare their performance against similar properties. By signing up you can:
- Receive support and training in setting up and using Energy Star Portfolio Manager, Canada’s free online energy management software
- Get insights on your building’s energy and GHG performance and help in identifying ways to reduce energy and costs
- Demonstrate leadership and choose to publicly disclose your building’s performance
- Earn recognition for your participation, no matter what your performance is
Learn more or sign up today: buildingbenchmarkbc.ca
Greater Victoria 2030 District
Are you ready to take action on climate change and reduce your building’s energy use and GHG emissions by 50% by 2030? Join the Greater Victoria 2030 District, hosted by the Building Owners and Managers Association of BC (BOMA) and get access to:
- Special offers and purchasing pools to reduce energy costs and GHG emissions, and improve resiliency
- Support via a peer network and government and utility representatives and energy experts
- Market advantage by attracting and retaining leading edge tenants and the opportunity to promote your environmental achievements
Contact Cora at corahallsworth[at]2030districts.org or visit 2030districts.org/greater-victoria to see who is participating and learn more.
This program is open to B.C. registered companies, non-profit organizations and public entities and provides funding, training, and other support for deploying zero emission fleets.
Visit pluginbc.ca for details (terms apply).
Federal Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program
Includes for funding for workplaces and light duty fleets. Provides 50% of costs up to specific maximums by project type for Level 2, Fast Chargers, and hydrogen refuelling stations (terms apply). Specified intakes per year, program available until 2024. More information.