We clean and maintain 98 bus shelters, empty 310 litter bins and collect and dispose of items illegally disposed of or "dumped". Help keep Saanich clean by disposing of items safely and properly.
If you witness illegal dumping
- Call Saanich Police at 250-475-4321.
- Record the time and date.
- Record the vehicle description, licence plate number and description of occupants.
- Record what you saw.
Illegal dumping carries many negative impacts:
- Ground contamination.
- Health risks by exposure to harmful chemicals and disease through rodents.
- Diminishes the aesthetic value of our community.
- If the offenders aren’t caught, Saanich taxpayers pay to cover the removal and disposal costs.
Illegal roadside dumping carries a minimum $150 fine, plus removal and disposal fees. For more information see Streets & Traffic Regulation Bylaw [PDF - 311 KB].
Contact us when…
- A bus shelter or area is damaged or vandalized (graffiti).
- A bus shelter or area needs cleaning.
- A litter bin needs emptying.
- Illegal roadside dumping on public property needs removal.
You can report such activities online.
Do your part to keep our community clean!
Find ways to repurpose, donate or recycle items.
- Contact local social groups or charities to see if they will accept your items.
- Post items for sale or free on online re-sale sites for people to come pick them up from you!
- Check out myrecyclopedia.ca for local recycling options.