October 8, 2021 - Schedules NOW POSTED! Check your collection schedule to find out when we're planning on being in your area, be sure to have leaf piles ready for the first day of your collection period. Leaf Collection Guidelines
September 27, 2021 - We’re gearing up for the 2021 leaf program. Schedules will be loaded shortly with the program expected to run from late October through to late December. While you're out raking leaves remember to clear eavestroughs, downspouts and catch basins of any leaves and other debris that may prevent water from draining.
Options for managing your leaves year round:
- Compost them in your backyard.
- Place them in your green organics bin with your food waste.
- Bring them to our yard and garden waste drop off site.
Program: Each fall we offer two curbside leaf collection passes along residential streets. Leaf collection dates will be added to your garbage and organics collection schedule in early October and
Have questions about the leaf program? Check out our new Frequently Asked Questions
- Leaf collection only.
- Have leaves ready for the first day of your collection week.
- Leaves must be in rows or piles no more than 1 metre away from the road.
- No limit to number of piles or rows.
- Leaves to be clear of catch basins, sidewalks, bike lanes and roadways.
- Leaves must not be placed in ditches.
- Collectors require unobstructed access to leaves.
We don’t accept
We're not able to accept a number of items in our leaf collection program. Please put the following in your organics recycling cart:
- Tree needles
- Grass clippings
- Garden waste
You can bring large-volume loads to the Saanich Public Works Yard at 1040 McKenzie Ave.
Where your leaves go
We collect and mulch about 2,500 tonnes of leaves for reuse in our parks, allotment gardens and garry oak restoration projects.
We also drop off free leaf mulch for residential use on a first-come, first-served basis at three Saanich parks: