January 21, 2022 - We want to thank all of our valued residents for your patience with this year’s leaf collection program and would like to ask for your assistance. The wet fall combined with snow throughout December and January has turned leaf piles into a decomposing sludge that our equipment is not designed to pick up. Alternative collection methods we’ve explored are not proving cost effective or feasible. It is for this reason we’re asking residents to help by using these alternative options:
- Place your leaves into your organics cart – many piles are now compact enough to put in your organics cart. Depending on the size of your cart, it may take 2 or 3 collection cycles to dispose of them all.
- Bring your leaves to our yard and garden waste drop off – if you have larger piles that won’t fit into your organics cart and have the means to transport them, it would be appreciated if you would use this option.
- There's generally no wait time in January and February!
- We're open Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m
If you’re not able to utilize options 1 or 2 above, contact us at Public Works and we may be able to assist you with other options.
- 250-475-5599 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.
Program: Each fall we offer two curbside leaf collection passes along residential streets. Leaf collection dates will be added to your garbage and organics collection schedule in early October and
Have questions about the leaf program? Check out our new Frequently Asked Questions
- Leaf collection only.
- Have leaves ready for the first day of your collection week.
- Leaves must be in rows or piles no more than 1 metre away from the road.
- No limit to number of piles or rows.
- Leaves to be clear of catch basins, sidewalks, bike lanes and roadways.
- Leaves must not be placed in ditches.
- Collectors require unobstructed access to leaves.
We don’t accept
We're not able to accept a number of items in our leaf collection program. Please put the following in your organics recycling cart:
- Tree needles
- Grass clippings
- Garden waste
You can bring large-volume loads to the Saanich Public Works Yard at 1040 McKenzie Ave.
Where your leaves go
We collect and mulch about 2,500 tonnes of leaves for reuse in our parks, allotment gardens and garry oak restoration projects.
We also drop off free leaf mulch for residential use on a first-come, first-served basis at three Saanich parks: