Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fires during the winter months. Two out of three reported home heating fires involve portable and fixed space heaters like fireplaces and chimneys.
- Check baseboard heaters often and remove objects that have fallen on top or near the heater.
- Keep all furniture a safe distance from your heaters.
- Never block the flow of heat.
- Never permit electrical cords to drape across heaters.
- Always hire an experienced electrician to do any necessary repair work on your baseboard heaters.
- Portable models heat up rapidly, and like baseboard heaters, they can easily ignite any flammable item left nearby.
- When shopping for a portable heater, choose a model with an automatic shut-off device.
- Avoid using household extension cords with portable heaters.
- Always turn the heater off when you go to bed.
- Place the heater on a flat surface.
Fireplaces and Woodstoves
- If you use a fireplace to heat your home, have a professional inspect and if necessary, clean your chimney before each heating season.
- Creosote can build up along the inside of the chimney and pose a fire hazard.