Take extra fire safety precautions to ensure safe and happy holidays.
- Candles create a festive atmosphere but can also cause great damage.
- December is the peak month for candle fires.
- Always put candles in candlesticks before you light them.
- Don’t use lit candles as decorations on your holiday tree or near flammable decorations and curtains.
- Never leave candles unattended or within the reach of young children.
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Cords and plugs are the leading type of equipment involved in the Christmas tree fires.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use tree lights. Don’t use any string lights with worn, frayed or broken cords or loose bulbs.
- Always unplug tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Keep your tree away from fireplaces, portable and baseboard heaters.
- Give your fresh-cut trees plenty of water every day to keep them as moist as possible.
- Dispose of fresh-cut trees before they become so dry that needles fall off and the colour changes.
- Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home fires in Canada. When cooking for holiday visitors, remember to keep an eye on the range.
- If you must leave the kitchen while preparing food, set a timer or carry a potholder to remind you that food is cooking.
- Clean your fireplace every year to remove creosote.
- Use a fireplace screen to prevent sparks.
- Burn only seasoned wood. Never burn wrapping paper, packing materials or other rubbish.
- Wait until the ashes are cool to remove them from the fireplace and dispose of them in a non-combustible container.