Fire Prevention Week is October 8-14, 2023
This year’s campaign, Cooking safety starts with You. Pay attention to fire prevention™, works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe when cooking.
Did you know? Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of cooking fires and deaths.
What can you do? The good news is you can prevent most cooking fires and burns. Help keep your family safer with some simple but effective tips.
More cooking saftey tips can be found on the National Fire Prevention Association here.
Once again, the annual Fire Prevention Week Poster Contest is open for all students from kindergarten to grade 12 who are attending an Indigenous, public, or independent school in British Columbia.
The poster contest is open to any kindergarten to grade 12 students attending an Indigenous, public, or independent school in British Columbia. Any number of students from a class can enter the contest.
- One (1) entry per student
- Posters must fit on 8 ½ by 11-inch letter-sized paper
- Original artwork can be drawn by hand or created with the assistance of digital media
- Text used on your poster may be in any language of your choosing
- Poster artwork should bring attention to fire prevention activities to do with the theme: Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention™
How to enter
Entries must be submitted by the student’s teacher. Entries will be divided into the grade indicated on the entry form, so please complete it accurately.
- 2023 entry form
- If mailed in, posters must include a completed entry form that has been taped or glued to the back (please do not staple).
- If emailed, the entry form must be included as an attachment.
Mail entries to: BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund, 3891 Main Street, Vancouver, BC, V5V 3P1 or email to Prevention@burnfund.org
The deadline for entry is October 23, 2023.
- October 23 – Deadline for sending completed entry forms
- Week of November 27 – Winners will be chosen
- Beginning of December – Winners will be announced
- January 2024 – Prizes will be presented
If you have any questions or comments, please email them to OFC@gov.bc.ca.
- Twelve (12) Grand Prize Winners (one in each grade) will receive an iPad.
- Twelve (12) Honourable Mention Winners will receive prizes of a Panago sponsored pizza/lunch party for their class.
Good luck with your Fire Prevention Week activities!