Did you know cooking is the number one cause of house fires and house fire injuries? In BC, 1 out of 4 house fires start in the kitchen. Before you serve up a meal, it's essential to serve up fire safety in the kitchen.
- Stay focused on the food – unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen. If you do have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
- Keep cooking areas clear – clear away clutter and give cooking appliances space to lessen the chance of a kitchen fire. Have a kid free zone of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared.
- Prevent scalds and burns – hot liquids and steam from the stove or oven can cause devastating injuries. Turn pot handles away from the stoves edge and keep hot foods or liquids away from the edges of counters and tables.
- Put a lid on it – you can take simple steps to keep a small kitchen fire from getting out of control. Never discharge a fire extinguisher into a grease fire because it will spread the fire.
- And if you do have a cooking fire, just get out. You can call 911 after you leave the house.