2022 Community Canvas Mural Project - Background Information
Artists were chosen for each mural site by a Selection Committee through an open, two-stage process. The selection process included a Call to Mural Artists and Request for Selection Committee members, as described below. Thank you to everyone that took the time to submit an application.
CALL TO MURAL ARTISTS
Stage 1: Artists are invited to submit an application. Up to three artists or artist groups will be shortlisted for each mural opportunity and requested to further develop their concept proposals and provide a design/schematic for a Stage 2 review.
Stage 2: Shortlisted artists will be invited to further develop their concept proposals and include a design schematic. They will receive a $350 honorarium for completed Stage 2 submissions. The Selection Committee will review proposals and recommend to the District of Saanich an artist/group for each location.
How to Apply:
- Review the Call to Artists Guidelines [PDF - 768 KB] which provides information on the mural project, process, mural sites, and how to prepare your application.
- Updated June 15, 2022: The mural opportunities are open to mural artists and artist groups with at least one member from the Capital Regional District (including the Gulf Islands) and Southern Vancouver Island.
- Submit your application and required materials (including your concept proposal) using the online application form through this link: Community Canvas Application Form (now closed).
- If you are unable to submit your application online, download the application form PDF (coming soon) and submit following the instructions in the Call to Artists Guidelines [PDF - 768 KB].
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 9:00 a.m. on Monday, June 27, 2022.
REQUEST FOR SELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBERS
The District of Saanich is seeking artists, creative professionals and community representatives to join the Selection Committee for the 2022 Community Canvas Mural Project. Committee members will evaluate artists’ proposals and recommend artists for up to three murals on Saanich-owned sites. In addition, committee members may be invited to provide input into the development of a mural roster/directory in the fall.
The Selection Committee will include up to three (3) artists and/or creative professionals (such as a designer, architect or arts and cultural professional), one (1) community members (i.e. Saanich resident) as well as one (1) staff member.
To learn more about the committee and how to apply, review the:
The application deadline is June 26, 2022.