The following programs are currently available for multi-family buildings:
Free Portable Air Conditioners (Income-Qualified)
The Government of B.C. is providing $10 million in funding to expand the Energy Conservation Assistance Program (ECAP) to include portable air conditioners to support vulnerable customers. Income-qualified customers in all housing types, including condos and apartments, can apply online now.
CleanBC Commercial Programs
Three fuel switching and electrification programs are available to multi-family buildings, under the suite of BC’s commercial programs:
CleanBC Custom, up to $20,000 for an energy study and $200,000 for capital projects,
- CleanBC Custom-Lite, up to $2,000 for an energy study and $72,000 for capital projects, and
- CleanBC Commercial Express, up to $100,000, no energy study required.
Free energy coach services to help guide you through the application and upgrade process. Terms and conditions apply. To get started, contact email@example.com or visit www.betterbuildingsbc.ca.
Province of BC Clean Buildings Tax Credit
Many types of buildings including multi-unit residential buildings, retail, offices, schools, and more can access this tax credit for reducing energy use intensity. Learn more.
Canada Greener Homes Program
Some smaller multi-family buildings are eligible under the Canada Greener Homes Program. Learn more here.
Social and Non-Profit Housing
Funding available for social and affordable housing providers include the following:
- CleanBC Social Housing Incentives, offers energy study funding, project implementation support and GHG reduction incentives
- The Sustainable Affordable Housing Program, administered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) provides funding to retrofit existing affordable housing units, including planning, studies, pilots and capital costs.
Building Benchmark BC
A free program that helps you monitor the energy and GHG data from your building and enables you to compare its performance against similar properties. By signing up you can:
- Receive support and training in setting up and using Energy Star Portfolio Manager, Canada’s free online energy management software
- Get insights on your building’s energy and GHG performance and help in identifying ways to reduce energy and costs
- Demonstrate leadership and choose to publicly disclose your building’s performance
- Earn recognition for your participation, no matter what your performance is
Learn more or sign up today: buildingbenchmarkbc.ca
Learn more about climate-friendly homes, including where to start for retrofits in multi-family buildings.