Planning for Comprehensive EV Ready Retrofits
The most cost-effective and equitable way to implement EV charging is to plan for every unit in a multifamily building to have access to an energized outlet capable of providing Level 2 EV charging. This is referred to as “EV Ready” and then enables the resident of the strata or apartment building to easily install a charger when they choose to buy an EV.
By planning and implementing EV Ready infrastructure from the outset, a building can generally design a system that fits within their building’s electrical capacity and avoids costly electrical upgrades. Technologies such as networked EV chargers and EV Energy Management Systems can help make efficient use of electrical capacity and also facilitate billing.
Check out this presentation to learn more about the benefits and steps to planning EV Ready retrofits [PDF - 2 MB] in multifamily buildings.
Learn more about the benefits of comprehensive EV ready retrofits and how to plan for them on this recorded webinar hosted in partnership with the Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association (Nov 17, 2021).
Resources and Supports for EV Ready Retrofits
Through the Province’s CleanBC Go Electric EV Charger Rebate Program, strata condominiums and other eligible multifamily buildings can receive:
- Up to $3,000 (75% of costs) for an EV Ready Plan which outlines how your building will provide each residential unit with at least one EV Ready parking space.
- Up to $80,000 (50% of costs) to implement the EV Ready Plan and install the infrastructure needed to make the building EV Ready; and
- Up to $14,000 (50% of costs) to install and EV chargers.
The District of Saanich now provides top-up rebates, which are administered through the provincial CleanBC program:
- An additional $1,000 for an EV Ready Plan
- An additional $100/parking stall for EV Ready Infrastructure
To help buildings get started and ensure guidance and support is available at each step of the process, access to a Plug In BC EV Advisor is available at no cost.
Check out this case study of a local Saanich strata building [PDF - 427 KB] that went 100% EV Ready!
VISOA Webinar Series on EV Charging in Strata Buildings
The Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association (VISOA) is presenting a series of webinars to provide comprehensive information catered to strata owners and corporations about the Clean BC – Go Electric Charger Rebate Program, understanding how the Strata Property Act applies, as well as governance and management related to EV charging systems
- Watch a recording of the first webinar: EV Ready Plans for Condominium Stratas
- Register for the second webinar in the series: December 11, 9-10am: EV Electrical Infrastructure Rebates for Condominium Stratas
- Visit VISOA's website for more information.
- BC Hydro administers the CleanBC Go Electric EV Charger Rebate Program, has step-by-step instructions for installing charging in all types of buildings, and also has useful information and tools including an EV vs. gas fuel savings calculator, an EV buying guide, and information on how to use their Fast Charger network.
- PlugIn BC administers the EV Advisor program for eligible building types and provides a hub of information and incentive programs for consumers and fleets to go electric.
- Emotive is a communications platform to share information, stories, FAQs, videos and events that help people discover the benefits of EVs.
- Clean BC’s Go Electric outlines the Province’s rebate information as well as highlights the benefits of electric vehicles.
- The Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association can provide guidance on the steps required by the Strata Property Act, and has recorded webinars that provides detailed information
- Check out the range of other rebates for climate-friendly transportation
Get “plugged in” to updates, news and opportunities for input on electric vehicle initiatives in Saanich by signing up to our EV Newsletter.