Planning for Comprehensive EV Ready Retrofits
The most cost-effective and equitable way to implement EV charging is to plan for every unit in a multifamily building to have access to an energized outlet capable of providing Level 2 EV charging. This is referred to as “EV Ready” and then enables the resident of the strata or apartment building to easily install a charger when they choose to buy an EV.
By planning and implementing EV Ready infrastructure from the outset, a building can generally design a system that fits within their building’s electrical capacity and avoids costly electrical upgrades. Technologies such as networked EV chargers and EV Energy Management Systems can help make efficient use of electrical capacity and also facilitate billing.
Watch the recorded webinar (Nov 17, 2021) below to learn more about the benefits of comprehensive EV ready retrofits and how to plan for them. This event was hosted in partnership with the Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association. The webinar slide deck is available here: Benefits and steps to planning EV Ready retrofits [PDF - 2 MB].
Funding for EV Ready Retrofits
The Province’s CleanBC Go Electric EV Charger Rebate Program provides the following incentives for strata condominiums and other eligible multifamily buildings:
- Up to $3,000 (75% of costs) for an EV Ready Plan which outlines how your building will provide each residential unit with at least one EV Ready parking space.
- Up to $120,000 (50% of costs) to implement the EV Ready Plan and install the infrastructure needed to make the building EV Ready; and
- Up to $14,000 (50% of costs) to install and EV chargers.
The District of Saanich now provides top-up rebates, which are administered through the provincial CleanBC program:
- An additional $1,000 for an EV Ready Plan
- An additional $100/parking stall for EV Ready Infrastructure
Low Carbon Fuel Credits
Multi-family buildings with five or more units can earn and sell credits for the electricity that is powering EVs in your building as part of BC’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS). The current value of LCFS credits is several times the cost of electricity and presents an opportunity for multi-family buildings to recover the cost of electrical upgrades and EV infrastructure. For more information:
- Visit the Low Carbon Fuel Requirements Regulation webpage and Reporting Electricity webpage for the excel document to register your EV stations (final supply equipment)
- Check out the presentation from the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation [PDF - 391 KB] for more details on claiming credits for multi-family buildings
Resources and Supports for EV Ready Retrofits
Multifamily builings in Saanich and beyond are getting EV Ready! These three case studies provide an overview of projects that have been completed, including costs, use of energy management systems, and more. Check out the videos at hte bottom of the page to hear residents talk about the projects and the benefits of the upgrade in their building.
- Largest strata complex in Saanich becomes EV Ready [PDF - 1016 KB]
- First 100% EV Ready building retrofit in Saanich [PDF - 427 KB]
- Case study from a multi-unit building in West Vancouver [PDF - 1 MB]
Contact a Plug In BC EV Advisor for free guidance and support during the process for eligible building types. They can provide presentations or one-on-one advice on charging incentives, charging installations processes, and the benefits of acquiring chargers.
Check out the Plug In BC website for resources geared towards MURBs (Multi-unit Residential Buildings), including:
- A Guide to Installing EV Charging in MURBs (digital, 3MB); (Print version; 90MB)
- MURB and Workplace FAQs
- A template survey – to explore level of support for EV infrastructure from fellow residents in your building
- A template Request for Proposals (RFP) – strata corporations can use to solicit quotes for EV Ready Plans
- EV Ready Plan Vetting Questions – to help strata corporations choose the right contractor for their EV Ready Plan
Upcoming and Recorded Webinars:
Charge Your Ride Webinars hosted by CRD and Plug In BC
There are two upcoming webinars for stratas that want to take advantage of current rebates for adding EV charging to their buildings. We will also be joined by the Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association to answer some of your most-asked questions.
In the first session, Plug In BC will share information about the process of installing EV charging stations in stratas or multi-unit residential buildings, going over the benefits of installing EV charging, what steps it takes to start the process, and top tips to get your building EV ready.
In the second session they will outline the rebates available for charging installation in stratas and multi-unit residential buildings. This includes rebates available for EV Ready Plans, offsets for the purchase and installation of chargers, and how to navigate funding applications.
- Webinar Session 1: EV Ready Strata, November 8, 2022, 12-1 pm
- Webinar Session 2: EV Charging Rebates for Stratas and MURBs, November 16, 2022, 12-1 pm
VISOA Webinar Series on EV Charging in Strata Buildings
The Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association (VISOA) is presenting a series of webinars to provide comprehensive information catered to strata owners and corporations about the Clean BC – Go Electric Charger Rebate Program, understanding how the Strata Property Act applies, as well as governance and management related to EV charging systems
- Watch a recording of the first six webinars:
- EV Charging: Working with Your Strata Council
- EV Ready Plans for Condominium Stratas
- EV Electrical Infrastructure Rebates for Condominium Strata
EV Charging for Townhouse Stratas (also applies to duplexes)
Choosing a Contractor for EV Charging Installations in Stratas (webinar by Neil Normandeau, Electrical Joint Training Committee in partnership with VISOA)
- Visit VISOA's website for resources and to register for upcoming webinars in the series, including a 4 page step by step guide.
Partner Links and Resources
- BC Hydro administers the CleanBC Go Electric EV Charger Rebate Program, has step-by-step instructions for installing charging in all types of buildings, and also has useful information and tools including an EV vs. gas fuel savings calculator, an EV buying guide, and information on how to use their Fast Charger network.
- PlugIn BC administers the EV Advisor program for eligible building types and provides a hub of information and incentive programs for consumers and fleets to go electric.
- Charge Your Ride is a regional education and awareness initiative that provides local information on electric mobility and has information on rebates, events and more.
- Emotive is a communications platform to share information, stories, FAQs, videos and events that help people discover the benefits of EVs.
- Clean BC’s Go Electric outlines the Province’s rebate information as well as highlights the benefits of electric vehicles.
- The Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association can provide guidance on the steps required by the Strata Property Act, and has recorded webinars that provides detailed information
- The Province’s Renewable and Low Carbon Fuel Requirements Regulation enables stratas over 5 units and other entities to earn and sell credits for the electricity supplied to EVs.
- Check out the range of other rebates for climate-friendly transportation
Get “plugged in” to updates, news and opportunities for input on electric vehicle initiatives in Saanich by signing up to our EV Newsletter.