The Resilient Saanich process began in 2020 to develop an Environmental Policy Framework, a Climate Plan (2020), a Biodiversity Conservation Strategy, and an Enhanced Stewardship Program. We have moved into the end of Milestone Three of the initiative, described in the Terms of Reference approved by Council. State of Biodiversity Report was presented to Council in March of 2023.
Milestone 1 Phase: A public engagement process closed on March 15, 2021. You can still read the engagement information on the Resilient Saanich Virtual Open House.
Milestone 2 Phase: A Community StoryMap was launched to provide information for the Biodiversity Conservation Strategy. A Milestone 2 progress report was approved by Council on August 22, 2022, including Resilient Saanich Principles and Goals and an updated workplan for Milestone 3.
Milestone 3 Phase: Community meetings were held with the W’SANEC Leadership Council members in January and May of 2023, to discuss both the BCS and the Urban Forest Strategy (UFS). A presentation was made to the W’SANEC Leadership Council Technical Advisory Committee in September of 2023, regarding both the BCS and the UFS.
Engagement opportunities were provided at Public Open Houses on the BCS and the UFS in April of 2023. A technical experts’ workshop was held in September 2023 to gather information for draft recommendations for the BCS.
The Stewardship Committee of the Resilient Saanich Technical Committee has drafted an Enhanced Stewardship discussion paper [PDF - 256 KB] that was provided to Diamond Head Consulting for consideration. Environmental Policy Framework Draft to be completed by staff.
The Biodiversity Conservation Strategy is in development by Diamond Head Consulting.
State of Biodiversity Summary Report:
View an updated version of Diamond Head’s State of Biodiversity Summary Report.
Ongoing: You can subscribe to the e-Bulletins (below) and check the Resilient Saanich Technical Committee meeting page for updates on their work.
Resilient Saanich e-Bulletins
To keep informed of project updates and participation opportunities, you can subscribe to the Resilient Saanich e-Bulletins. The following are e-Bulletins (in PDF format) that have been sent out since the start of the project:
- #1 Welcome [316 KB]
- #2 Resilient Saanich & RSTC Update [351 KB]
- #3 Resilient Saanich Technical Committee Update [378 KB]
- #4 Resilient Saanich Resource Update [153 KB]
- #5 Resilient Saanich Initiative Update [160 KB]
- #6 Resilient Saanich: Have Your Say [150 KB]
- #7 Survey & Information in Punjabi & Chinese [148 KB]
- #8 Public Engagement Open [148 KB]
- #9 Survey Deadline - March 15, 2021 [161 KB]
- #10 RSTC Video and March 15, 2021 Deadline [162 KB]
- #11 Public Survey Closed [114 KB]
- #12 RSTC Applications: Deadline June 11th [111 KB]
- #13 Report to Council [101 KB]
- #14 Revised Timelines and Update [173 KB]
- #15 RFQ Posting [163 KB]
- #16 Technical Committee Update [162 KB]
- #17 Collaborating with our Community [163 KB]
- #18 State of Biodiversity Report [221 KB]
- #19 Input Needed: Biodiversity & Urban Forests [221 KB]
- #20 Report to Council, August 22, 2022 [PDF - 240 KB]
- #21 Council Updates and Mapping Report [PDF - 240 KB]
- #22 Community StoryMap [PDF - 218 KB]
- #23 Resilient Saanich Updates [PDF - 274 KB]
- #24 Resilient Saanich Updates [PDF - 258 KB]
- #25 Resilient Saanich Updates [PDF - 187 KB]
- #26 Resilient Saanich Updates [PDF - 192 KB]
Resilient Saanich Factsheets
Factsheet #1: FAQs [887 KB]
Factsheet #2: Biodiversity Conservation Strategy Examples [3 MB]
Factsheet #3: Biodiversity Targets [509 KB]
Factsheet #4: Biodiversity Conservation Resources [526 KB]
Factsheet #5: Biodiversity Related Saanich Reports [2 MB]
Factsheet #6: Biodiversity and Protected Areas in Saanich [535 KB]
Factsheet #7: Environmental Stewardship Examples [556 KB]