How to Get Involved
We are looking for volunteers to help with this project. Here’s how you can help:
- Choose one of the Saanich World War I soldiers.
- Let us know who you are researching.
- We will send you a list of links to the soldier’s attestation papers, personnel file, and other resources to get you started.
- Send us the biographical information you discover.
- We’ll add it to the website and our reference collections at Saanich Archives.
Resources for Volunteers
- Soldiers of the First World War - search attestation papers
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission - search for war dead
- A City Goes To War - search database of service records for Greater Victoria soldiers
- Saanich 1921 & 1911 Census Project Documents
- 1918 Saanich Voters List [PDF - 1.4 MB] - arranged alphabetically in wards
- Saanich postal stations [PDF - 16 KB] in 1918
- 1912 Henderson's Greater Victoria City Directory (Vancouver Public Library website)
- 1920 Henderson's Greater Victoria City Directory (Vancouver Public Library website)
- BC Archives Genealogy - search birth, marriages, deaths in British Columbia
- FamilySearch.org - search birth, marriage, and death records
- British Army War Diaries - search and download unit war diaries held at the National Archives UK
- British Colonist - search index of historical Victoria newspapers
- Biographical form [PDF - 17 KB] for submitting information on a Saanich WWI veteran who is not listed on the Honour Roll
Explore Saanich Archives WWI Documents
View our collection of WW1 images on our photo search site.
Visit our Collections & Research page to view WWI references in the following:
- Saanich Council minutes (1914 – 1921)
- Annual Reports (1914 – 1919)
- Oral History Interviews
- other Saanich Archives collections
Explore correspondence and ephemera from Saanich Archives relating to the First World War in these links:
- Letter suggesting location for Saanich Honour Roll [PDF - 7.1 MB]
- Letters to Municipality submitting names for inclusion on Saanich Honour Roll [PDF - 796 KB]
- Military envelope, August 1918 [PDF - 2.8 MB]
- Victoria Patriotic Aid Society certificate [PDF - 941 KB]
- Request by soldier for Municipality to forward tax notice overseas [PDF - 11.8 MB]
- Explore more WWI documents