Use your Petiquette...
- pick up after your dog
- obey leash regulations
- be mindful of the environment
Bring your dog
Did you know that only a small number of our parks have dog restrictions? Most allow dogs that are on leash or under effective control. There are no designated dog parks in Saanich.
You must keep dogs in any public place on a leash or under effective control at all times. Not all park guests are comfortable around dogs. Do not allow your pets to jump on or run up to other park users.
Owners must clean up after their pets. Be prepared to pick up after your dog and bring your own supplies.
Dispose of your doggy doo bags properly. This means follow a pack it in, pack it out process. You may need to bring filled waste bags home with you. Please, do not throw these bags along road or trail sides.
See Bylaw No. 8556, Section 14.1 [PDF - 3 MB] for more details.
Dogs must be on a leash:
- On school grounds
- Within 10 metres of playground equipment
- In the Royal Oak Burial Park
- On the Lochside Trail within the Blenkinsop Lake area (Blenkinsop Lake Park)
- In Cedar Hill Park, including all trails
- Along the perimeter trail in Rithet's Bog
Please leave your dog at home when you visit:
- Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary
- Quick’s Bottom Park
Due to the sensitive environment in these areas, dogs are not permitted at any time.
Dogs can’t be on artificial turf fields, in Rithet's Bog other than leashed on the perimeter trail or within 50m of Kings Pond in Cedar Hill Park.
From March 1 to October 31 dogs can’t be in fenced baseball fields.
Please keep dogs out of tennis and pickleball court areas - these surfaces are for racquet sports only.
From May 1 to August 31 keep dogs out of the following areas:
- Whitehead Park
- This section of Cadboro Gyro Park or Cadboro Bay Beach EXCEPT before 9 a.m.
- This section of Cordova Bay Beach EXCEPT before 9 a.m.
- This section of Mount Douglas Park
Working and Service Dogs
Are exempt while working.
See the Animal Control Bylaw [PDF - 243 KB] for full details. For enforcement, please call Saanich Animal Control 250-475-4321.