Saanich is going to be building improved infrastructure on Shelbourne Street from North Dairy Road to Torquay Drive as part of the Shelbourne Street Improvements Project (SSIP).
The project includes:
- Installation of new cycling facilities;
- Pedestrian safety improvements;
- Transit infrastructure improvements;
- Replacement of underground utility infrastructure;
- Renewed asphalt road surface.
View the design concept drawings for work to be completed in all phases of the SSIP.
All Phases - Transportation Concept Plan [PDF - 3 MB]
Phase 1 - Transportation Concept Plan [PDF - 1 MB]
Why are we doing this?
The goal of the project is to deliver the short-term improvements to Shelbourne Street as identified in the Shelbourne Valley Action Plan (SVAP). The SVAP is part of the Official Community Plan and was developed through several years of community consultation. The project will improve safety for all road users, improve access for pedestrians and cyclists and ensure vital underground utilities continue to function safely and reliably far into the future.
Traffic delays may occur in the area during construction. Notifications will be provided to directly impacted property owners and tenants including those affected by scheduled interruptions to water service, sewer service and driveway access. Garbage and recycling services will be maintained throughout construction. Prior to start of construction, the District will issue one or more additional notifications with more details.
The overall SSIP will be constructed in 3 separate phases over several years. Construction of each phase will take approximately 15 - 18 months. Approximate timelines for start of construction are as follows:
- Phase 1 - July 2020
- Phase 2 - late 2021
- Phase 3 - 2023
- Construction of traffic lights at the intersections of Cedar Hill Rd, Feltham Rd and Shelbourne St, Torquay Dr. has been completed and lights are in full operation.
- Construction of lights at the intersection of Shelbourne St and Torquay Dr have been completed are now in full operation
- Night work is ongoing at the intersection of McKenzie Ave and Shelbourne St and is expected to last until the end of July