2020 Climate Plan
The award-winning 2020 Climate Plan: 100% Renewable and Resilient Saanich was adopted by Council on Tuesday, January 28, 2020. Thank you to all those who contributed to its development.
To learn more, you can:
- Read the full plan [PDF - 31 MB],
- Check out a 3 minute introduction [PDF - 913 KB],
- Use the Residents' Climate Action Guidebook to help make your own personal plan,
- Sign up for the E-news list to learn about upcoming news and opportunities
The District makes regular progress reports on climate action.
We need to do this together
Our collective success requires action from everybody, including residents, businesses, community organizations, institutions, neighbouring local governments, and senior levels of government.
How you can get involved in climate action in Saanich
- Join the One Planet Saanich initiative as a business, organization, school, or faith group.
- School climate resources available through the BC Sustainable Energy Association Cool It program and via One Planet Saanich.
- Owners and managers of commercial, institutional and/or large multi-family residential buildings consider joining District 2030 or Building Benchmark BC.
- Would you like a presentation about the Saanich Climate Plan for your organization? Email email@example.com to let us know!
Join thousands of other Saanich residents in making a difference!
- Read the Resident's Climate Action Guidebook [PDF - 12 MB] to help you understand climate change, make a climate commitment, and access programs and incentives to support building a more climate-friendly future.
- Measure your personal GHG emissions with the Saanich Carbon Calculator! You’ll then know where you’re starting from to help you make a plan to reduce emissions – consider setting up a friendly competition!
- Reduce your GHG emissions:
- on the road by choosing active or public transportation more, or switching to an electric vehicle or electric bike (e-bike). Incentives are available!
- from your home by switching off fossil fuels (e.g. natural gas, oil) to renewable energy (such as electric heat pumps) for your space and water heating systems at replacement time. Learn more about climate-friendly homes. Incentives are available!
- from food and materials by reducing waste and choosing lower impact food and goods.
- Improve your resilience in climate and other emergencies by getting to know your neighbours and benefitting from the Saanich Emergency Program offers, and read tips for keeping indoor air cool and clean in heat waves and wildfire smoke events.
- Help local ecosystems thrive and adapt – check out the Saanich Pulling Together or Naturescape programs.
- Sign up for the Climate Quarterly e-newsletter
(The earlier 2010 Climate Action Plan and 2011 Climate Adaptation Plan are available upon request. Supporting documents for the development of the 2020 Climate Plan are also available.)