We regulate many common pesticides in Saanich. If you want to use a pesticide which is not on the approved list of permitted pesticides, you must apply for a permit. These are issued by the Manager of Environmental Services.
In what situation can I apply to use a restricted pesticide?
- Pest infestations that put sensitive ecosystems at risk.
- Risks of serious economic loss from a pest infestation.
- Specifically listed invasive species or noxious weeds.
To receive a permit, you must also meet these three criteria.
- The pesticide is allowed under the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Act.
- You must show that this is a last resort and it must meet the principles of Integrated Pest Management.
- You must have a certified pesticide applicator to apply the pesticides.
What about dandelions on my lawn?
- Usually the control of broadleaf weeds like dandelions do NOT meet the above conditions.
There is no fee to apply for a permit to use pesticides. Conditions for the application of pesticides and requirements for posting signs are part of the permit and bylaw requirements.
- Application Form [PDF - 311 KB]
- See an example of a correctly filled out application form [PDF - 799 KB]
What if my property has more than one owner?
- You need to fill out the Owners Authorization [PDF - 119 KB] form.
Bring your completed application to the Planning Department.