Strategic OCP Update Background
The Official Community Plan (OCP) is the main document that guides growth and change in Saanich. It provides a long-term vision for a livable community based on shared values and sustainability. The OCP works together with other plans and policies.
The Strategic OCP Update will retain the sustainability vision of the current OCP and focus efforts on key elements that reflect recent trends and Council directions. The update focuses on five priorities:
- Incorporate recent District work, such as the Climate Plan, Housing Strategy and Active Transportation Plan, into the broader directions of the OCP.
- Integrate updated demographic data and statistics.
- Update the land use framework to address emerging policy priorities (i.e. corridors, missing middle/infill housing, walkable neighbourhoods).
- Refine its sustainability approach and link it with One Planet Living.
- Strengthen monitoring and implementation.
The Proposed Plan also incorporates new Provincial directions and legislative changes related to infill housing, amenity contributions, and transit-oriented development.
This project has three phases and an accelerated timeline which reflects its focused scope of work.
- Summary of Changes between Proposed Plan (Dec. 2023) and Draft Plan (May 2023) [PDF - 211 KB]
- Phase 2 Engagement Summary Report - August 2, 2023 [PDF - 22 MB]
- Housing Providers & Development Industry – Workshop Slides (June 20) [PDF - 9 MB]
- Saanich Community Association Network – Workshop Slides (May 31) [PDF - 1 MB]
- May 2023 Draft Plan - Open house display boards [PDF - 13 MB] and webinar slides [PDF - 5 MB]
- Preliminary Indicators Framework [PDF - 598 KB]
- Draft Plan - Presentation to Council - May 15, 2023 [PDF - 6 MB]
- Phase 1 Engagement Summary Report - March 16, 2023 [PDF - 4 MB]
- December 11, 2023 - Proposed Official Community Plan
- August 14, 2023 – Phase 2 Engagement Report / Role of Area Specific Plans
- May 15, 2023 - Draft Plan & Phase 2 Engagement [PDF - 761 KB]
- March 27, 2023 - Phase 1 Engagement Summary [PDF - 4 MB]
- May 30, 2022 - Terms of Reference, Major Corridors Clarification [PDF - 1 MB]
- March 21, 2022 – Project Background & Terms of Reference [PDF - 2 MB]