Day to day, Saanich responds to hundreds of calls for service for police, fire and public works. The vast majority of these calls don’t need special coordination.
But there are times when something pushes our daily operations to their limit and we need extra support for front line work.
Emergency Response and Recovery Plan
This plan provides guidance for staff working in an Emergency Operations Centre. The plan is regularly updated and takes an all-hazards approach and dynamic planning process. Included are specific potential hazards to our community and our priority response actions.
Other Saanich Plans
- Department Operation Centre Plans
- Facility Emergency Response Plans
- Emergency Support Services Plan
- Evacuation Plan
- Rapid Damage Assessment Plan
The Regional Emergency Management Partnership (REMP) in the Capital region was established in March 2016 through a Memorandum of Understanding between the Provincial Government of BC and the Capital Regional District (on behalf of its member municipalities and electoral areas) to enhance regional emergency management by providing regional planning on priority emergency management activities. The Steering Committee sets the direction for REMP’s work. REMP’s regional planning initiatives are supported by integrated working groups consisting of all levels of government, First Nations and stakeholder agencies and are reliant on collaboration and relationships to achieve success.
We also belong to two regional commissions.
Regional Emergency Planning Advisory Commission
- Comprised of agencies that have significant responsibility during a major emergency in the Capital Regional District.
- Develop and promote initiatives to increase communication and cooperation for major emergencies.
Local Government Emergency Program Advisory Commission
- Increases communication and cooperation among regional local government emergency programs.
- Strengthens capacity to prepare for, respond to and recover from a multi-jurisdictional emergency event in our region.
Our volunteer groups also work closely with regional partners to:
- Share training opportunities.
- Conduct joint exercises.
- Ensure mutual understanding of each other’s capacities.