HeArts Together Community Art Project
HeArts Together is a collaborative community art project that responds to the COVID-19 pandemic by inviting the community to come together creatively while remaining close to home.
The project supports isolated and vulnerable community members to actively participate in the project through collaboration with community partners, including health care facilities and service organizations. Participants create unique clay and painted wooden hearts and messages that will be assembled alongside hearts made by children and other community members in outdoor displays in Saanich parks and public places starting this summer.
Hearts are a touchstone that have come to symbolize our caring for loved ones, neighbours and the community, as well as to express our gratitude to health care and essential workers. These collective heart installations will serve as a legacy of our shared experience during these times, showing that we can come together as a community while remaining safely apart. Displayed in public spaces, they will remind us to continue to be safe and caring for all in our community as we move forward together.
Photo Gallery of HeArts and Messages
Photos of community hearts and messages will be added to this gallery as they are received.
HeArt displays have been installed in the following public parks. We hope you can visit them in person! If not, we have included photos of the displays here. Additional display locations will be added here as they are completed.
Cadboro Bay/Gyro Park, tennis court face - map
Rainbow Park, sport court fence - map
Rutledge Park, tennis court face - map
- Aberdeen Hospital (Island Health)
- Victoria Cool Aid Society - Downtown Community Centre and Rock Bay Landing Emergency Shelter
- Garth Homer Society
- The Heights at Mt. View (Baptist Housing Society)
- Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria
- Priory Long Term Care (Island Health)
- Salvation Army - Community Residential Facility
- Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Society
- Victoria Native Friendship Centre
- Victoria Women's Transition House Society
The following organizations and individuals (along with some businesses that wished to remain anonymous) have provided in-kind support to the project through the making of wooden hearts for participants and the donation of other materials:
Contributions from these organizations have helped to distribute heart kits with some of our collaborating partners and make this project possible:
- Community Foundations of Canada Emergency Community Support Fund
- The Greater Victoria Eldercare Foundation – Aberdeen Hospital and the Priory
- Vancouver Foundation Responsive Neighbourhood Small Grants Program – The Heights at Mt. View
We are immensely grateful for your support.
The project is organized by Saanich Community Services and the Cedar Hill Arts Centre. If you would like further information or to contribute in some way to this project, please contact Brenda Weatherston, Saanich Community Arts Specialist, at email@example.com or 250 475-5557. Contributors and HeArt Makers will receive a hand-made clay heart pendant or pin as a keepsake and token of appreciation for their involvement.