District of Saanich to hold by-election on September 23, 2017
July 18, 2017
For Immediate Release
Saanich, BC – On September 23, 2017, Saanich residents will head to the polls to elect one councillor to assume the seat previously held by Vic Derman, who sadly passed away earlier this year. The term will end in the fall of 2018 when B.C. municipalities conduct their next municipal elections.
Who can be nominated
Candidates are qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of the local government if they meet the following requirements:
- Are 18 years of age or older on general voting day Saturday, September 23, 2017;
- Are a Canadian citizen;
- Have been a resident of British Columbia for at least six months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed;
- Are not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
How to nominate
Complete the nomination documents which are available at the District of Saanich Legislative Services Division during regular office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays.
Deliver the nomination documents to the Chief Election Officer by hand, by mail or by other delivery service, delivery to be made during the period Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9 a.m. to Friday, August 18, 2017 at 4 p.m., excluding statutory holidays and weekends.
The documents may also be sent by fax 250-475-5440 or email email@example.com, with originals to follow.
The deadline for receiving nomination documents is Friday, August 18, 2017 at 4 p.m. with the deadline for receiving originals of nomination documents being Friday, August 25, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
- August 8–18: Candidate nomination period
- August 25: Deadline for receiving original nomination documents
- September 13 and 18: Advance voting will take place at Saanich municipal hall from 8 a.m. –8 p.m.
- September 23: Voting stations will be open from 8 a.m.–8 p.m. More information will be available in the coming weeks.
For more information about nomination requirements and procedures, please visit saanich.ca/elections. Information is also available from the Legislative Services Division at Saanich Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Avenue. Staff can be reached by telephone at 250-475-1775; by fax at 250-475-5440; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 30 -