Final phase of public input begins to develop People, Pets and Parks Strategy
May 10, 2023
For immediate release
Saanich, BC – The District of Saanich invites parks users to share their input during the third and final round of engagement for the People, Pets and Parks Strategy.
The third phase of public engagement will include a virtual information session and the launch of an online feedback form. The information collected in round three will help with updates to the final strategy that will be presented to Council on June 26, 2023.
Phase two results
In the second round of public engagement, the project team hosted an open house where close to 300 people attended to share their concerns and to ask questions. Additionally, the project team facilitated stakeholder workshops and posted a public questionnaire on the project webpage. Results are available for review.
The feedback received emphasized the importance that the strategy recommendations recognize the needs of different park users while protecting natural areas and habitat. There is a need for parks to accommodate different types of pets/dogs depending on size, behaviour, level of training, age and mental state.
Ways to provide your input
There are two ways to participate during this third round of public engagement.
Complete the online feedback form
- Open from May 30 to midnight on June 11 at saanich.ca/peoplepetsparks
- Request a paper copy if needed by contacting email@example.com or 250-475-5522.
Attend the virtual information session
- Monday, May 29, 2023, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- The project team will present highlights and key recommendations of the draft strategy at this online webinar style event which will include time for questions and answers.
- Register in-advance at saanich.ca/peoplepetsparks
- Unable to attend? View the recorded Information Session which will posted online
- Fill-out the feedback form at saanich.ca/peoplepetsparks
- This event is view only.
- Participant cameras will be turned off.
- People attending can watch the presentation and will have the option to submit written questions anonymously.
- Information and details about the project will be available on the webpage People, Pets and Parks Strategy | District of Saanich.
- The draft strategy will be available for viewing following the Information Session (May 30). Key concepts and recommendations from the strategy will be presented during the information session which kicks off the third round of engagement.
In 2021, Council directed staff to develop People, Pets and Parks: A District Wide Strategy for Sharing Saanich’s Parks. Saanich hired Lees and Associates to develop the strategy and Modus to facilitate the public engagement activities. The strategy will set goals and objectives for the community’s vision combined with the need for practical management of specific parks and amenities.
- 30 -
Senior Manager of Parks