The B.C. government gives local ones like ours powers to protect our heritage structures. The Heritage Conservation - Part 15 of the Local Government Act regulates the following:
- Heritage Register;
- Heritage designation protection;
- Heritage revitalization agreements;
- Heritage alteration permits;
- Heritage inspections;
- Impact assessments;
- Withholding approvals;
- Withholding of demolition approvals; and
- Temporary protection.
Heritage Management Plan
The Saanich Heritage Management Plan 1999 [PDF - 304 KB] outlines policies, regulations and action items for the future protection and development of heritage property. Policies from the Plan include applications for:
- The designation of heritage buildings
- Permits to alter heritage sites
- Permits for zoning and development
Heritage Action Plan
This is an update and appendix to the Heritage Management Plan, you can view it here [PDF - 1.4 MB]. It sets clear heritage goals.
- Protect existing heritage resources
- Strengthen heritage resources; and
- Promote heritage awareness.