We are updating the Active Transportation Plan!
The District’s first active transportation plan, Moving Saanich Forward was adopted by Council in June 2018 as a guide for investment in active transportation improvements for the next 30 years. The award-winning plan establishes a vision, goals and targets. It also outlines strategies and actions, and an implementation plan to ensure progress on the District’s policies, standards, infrastructure and programs for active transportation.
Saanich is committed to monitoring and updating the Active Transportation Plan (ATP) on an ongoing basis and in 2023, five years of implementation will have occurred. The purpose of the ATP update is to develop a current framework to support the implementation of active transportation policies and actions. The updated plan will help guide investment and decision-making in the next five years, and beyond.
The ATP Update will focus on the following priorities:
- Alignment with current policy documents, including recent strategies and plans for climate change, active transportation, and road safety;
- Incorporating current demographic and travel data, as well as collision data and statistics on infrastructure;
- Addressing emerging technologies and trends related to electric bikes and micromobility;
- Integrating Vision Zero and a Safe Systems approach to road safety;
- Reviewing progress towards achieving the vision, goals and targets of the ATP;
- Updating select targets, strategies and actions, and incorporating new targets, strategies and actions, where necessary;
- Updating mapping;
- Reviewing current priorities and establishing new priorities, as needed for implementation over the next five years;
- Incorporating an equity approach; and
- Developing a framework for a future traffic calming policy.
Updating the ATP will take approximately 15 months and it will be completed in five phases.
If you would like to stay informed about the project and receive updates on opportunities to provide input on the aspects of the plan that are new and/or changing, sign up here!