Sign up here to stay informed about the project and receive updates on opportunities to provide input on the plan!
Posted June 2023
The online survey is now closed
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. This phase of public engagement is now complete. We will work through the summer to develop the Draft Road Safety Action Plan, based on evidence, data, and the input we received through the survey.
Posted April 2022
Saanich is developing a Road Safety Action Plan
In February 2022 Council adopted Vision Zero and they directed staff to develop a Road Safety Action Plan (RSAP) in alignment with Vision Zero and a Safe Systems Approach.
Vision Zero is an ambitious goal to eliminate all serious injuries and fatalities while ensuring safe, healthy, and equitable mobility for all road users. This includes people who walk, ride a bike, roll, take a bus or drive. Vision Zero is a new paradigm for road safety that recognizes that human error is inevitable and a systems-based approach (called a Safe-Systems approach) is needed to ensure that actions targeted to achieve safe speed limits, safe road design, safe people and safe vehicles work together to achieve this aim.
Vision Zero and the Safe Systems Approach - Transpotation Association of Canada (2023)
The RSAP will focus on the following priorities:
- Develop a vision and guiding principles that align with Vision Zero and a Safe Systems Approach;
- Collect and analyze data to understand the risks and impacts of crashes, as well as the locations of concern in Saanich;
- Identify a target and actions, based on a thorough analysis of the data and input gathered through community engagement; and
- Incorporate an implementation and monitoring plan to prioritize and track progress on improved road safety and zero traffic fatalities and/or serious injuries.
Collaboration with road safety partners will be critical, not only to the development of the plan, but also as we move forward with implementation.
The RSAP will be completed in four phases.
Documents and Reports
- Engagement Summary, Phase 2 (September 2023)
- RSAP Report to Council (May 2023)
- Terms of Reference (May 2022)
- Engagement Strategy and Communications Plan (February 2023)
- A Policy Framework for Road Safety in Saanich (February 2022)