When it comes to a disaster, we need each other to respond and recover. Our volunteers are a dedicated group who support Saanich and our residents. No matter your background, if you are willing to learn, you can make a valuable contribution.
There are many benefits to volunteering with us! Most importantly, volunteering with us connects you to others and your community. You will learn about and enhance your personal preparedness and learn how to support others during an emergency or disaster. You may have skills well suited to our program or you may be looking to try something completely new.
Stages of Volunteer Recruitment
There are a few steps to our recruitment process to ensure we are well suited for one another.
1. Information Session Learn about our program and the various components and training requirements. To find and register for an upcoming Volunteer Information Session visit our Events Page.
2. Interview and Screening Meet with a staff person and a volunteer Director or Deputy Director so we can learn about your background, interests and suitability to the program.
3. Police Information Check At no cost to our applicants, we ask you to process a police information check form, including a Vulnerable Sector Check by attending the front desk at the Police Department.
4. Reference Checks Provide the names and phone numbers of two people, other than family who have known you for at least five years. References can be either personal or professional. Choose those who can speak to your character, reliability and suitability to volunteer with the Saanich Emergency Program.
5. Intake We can either email or prepare a hard copy package with the following forms.
- Volunteer Information Form
- Training Agreement
- District of Saanich Code of Conduct and Confidentiality Agreement
- Publication Consent
- Emergency Management BC Public Safety Lifeline Volunteer Registration Form and Code of Conduct
6. Orientation Meet with component Director or Deputy Director to discuss training and orientation, conduct a site tour and plan next steps.