Updates on Saanich services in winter conditions
February 14, 2019
Road clearing updates
Since this recent snowfall, Saanich crews have been busy plowing and salting our approximately 600km of roads. Our top priority has been clearing major and collector routes (including steep hills), as well as transit routes.
Temperatures are expected to rise over the weekend and we expect a decrease in the amount of snow that has accumulated. The majority of residential streets have now been cleared and any remaining routes will be assessed early next week.
We are constantly monitoring the weather and will make any changes to our response if conditions change.
Residents can assist us clear snow faster by:
- keeping cars off the roads and out of cul-de-sacs to help plows work efficiently;
- avoid piling snow in the roadway as passing plows may inadvertently create compact snowpiles in driveways;
- rather, shoveled snow is better left on the boulevard or private property.
Garbage and organics collection
Garbage collection crews have been able to safely access about 90% of the week's scheduled routes. For the remaining 10% of streets that could not be accessed, we're still planning to attempt collection either Friday or Monday, subject to weather. These areas are typically at the top of a hill or on particularly challenging roads. If you're a resident in one of these areas please keep your carts out so we can collect them.
Approximately 50% of residents did not have their carts out in the areas that we were able to access.
There are two options for residents who did not have their carts out:
- A refuse collection station will be set up at the yard and garden drop-off site at Public Works on Saturday, February 16 from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. Up to 2 garbage bags will be accepted with proof of residency.
- Curbside collection will be provided on your next scheduled collection day.
Catch basins and flood prevention
After snow and ice events, we need to clear catch basins to help prevent flooding. Public Works staff are removing snow from municipal catch basins to help melting snow go where it ought to.
How you can help?
- If you having flooding concerns, contact Public Works at 250-475-5599 or email@example.com
- Melting snow or storm surges that cause flooding. Here's action to take in a flood and who to call in a flooding or drainage emergency
Here are some steps that you can take to avoid flooding around your home:
- Clean your foundation drains and sumps periodically to ensure that they are not blocked by leaves, dirt or other debris.
- Clear your gutters. Keep your gutters free of leaves and debris
- Clear ditches, culverts or catch basins on your property. Blockages can cause water to back up.
- Check that your home drainage system is working properly. Repair broken pipes, foundation drains and subdrains.
Thank you for your continued patience