Public invited to provide feedback on the draft Uptown-Douglas Corridor plan
September 16, 2019
Saanich, BC – Public feedback is now being requested on the draft plan that has been created for the Uptown–Douglas Corridor area of Saanich. Stretching from the City of Victoria border to just north of the Saanich Municipal Hall, the plan area represents a critical regional hub that is expected to see significant growth and change.
The District of Saanich is seeking input from residents, businesses and other stakeholders on the policies and concepts of the draft plan that will guide land use and transportation changes over the next 20-30 years.
Feedback will be used to refine the plan, ensuring that the objectives and policies for future growth and change in this dynamic area of Saanich are supported by the public, residents and stakeholders. The revised plan will then be presented to Saanich Council for consideration.
How to get involved:
There are numerous opportunities available to learn more about the draft plan and provide input. Engagement opportunities will include:
- Public open houses at Uptown Shopping Centre;
- Pop-up displays throughout the study area, including on the Galloping Goose Trail and at Rutledge Park;
- Displays at the Public Library – Emily Carr Branch – and Municipal Hall; and
- Online draft plan survey.
Check www.saanich.ca/udcp to get the latest calendar of events and an overview of opportunities to be involved.
Public Open Houses at Uptown Shopping Centre
(Suite 113, Uptown Boulevard, next to Forever 21)
Wednesday, September 25 5:00 – 9 p.m.
Saturday, September 28 2:00 – 6 p.m.
Tuesday, October 1 2:00 – 6 p.m.
Key plan directions:
- Accommodate new housing for 4,000 residents over the next 20 years in a location with convenient access to transportation options, services and amenities
- Develop a walkable network of parks and open spaces highlighted by a central civic space
- Re-design major roads into complete streets that comfortably accommodate all modes of travel
- Provide opportunities for industrial properties to expand and diversify their operations through additional density
- Incorporate a range of housing opportunities to accommodate a variety of lifestyles and socio-economic needs
- Enhance the Galloping Goose Trail as a central feature, by widening the trail, providing better connections and encouraging adjacent land uses to animate this public space
- Realize the redevelopment of larger commercial sites into mixed-use developments with a variety of housing and employment options
- Enhance and expand green spaces to build green corridors and improve the area’s livability, biodiversity and ecological performance
- Over 10,000 people are employed in the Uptown-Douglas Corridor area.
- 4,400 residents call the Uptown-Douglas Corridor home.
- Population in this area has grown by 4.35% annually over the past 5 years.
- Approximately 30,000 transit riders travel through the area daily.
- 30% of Saanich’s industrial land is located in Uptown-Douglas Corridor study area.
- Only 6% of the Uptown-Douglas Corridor area consists of public parks and open spaces.
Manager of Community Planning