Saanich Council passes Financial Plan and Tax Rate Bylaws
May 14, 2018
For immediate release
The District of Saanich’s financial plan outlines spending for municipal programs and infrastructure.
On May 14 Saanich Council passed the five-year Financial Plan Bylaw as well as the 2018 Tax Rate Bylaw. These bylaws establish the operating and capital plans for all municipal services for the coming years, including the tax revenue required to support them.
"Saanich continues to provide a comprehensive set of services and prioritized capital projects to meet the needs of our residents," said Mayor Richard Atwell. "For 2018, Council has delivered a financial plan that keeps tax increases to a minimum while balancing the need to invest and plan for future expenses."
The financial plan builds on existing programs and services representing Saanich’s community themes:
- Safe community: $100,000 for Safe Routes to School program and $2,630,000 in funding for various protective services capital;
- Healthy community: $3,000,000 for park, playground and trail infrastructure projects to support active living;
- Sustainable environment: $6,700,000 allocated to replacement program for essential water and sewer systems;
- Balanced transportation: $5,411,000 for additions to sidewalks and bikeways and various improvement to roads, bikeways, bus stops, signals and lighting;
- Vibrant connected economy: $200,000 for Durrance Road bridge replacement design; and
- Service excellence: $2,650,000 toward technology and software upgrades.
The 2018 Tax Rate Bylaw establishes a tax rate increase of 3.07 per cent for existing homeowners. This equates to a $77 increase for the average existing homeowner in Saanich.
- The municipal property tax increase allocates 1.93 per cent to support current levels of municipal and police operations; 0.91 per cent for capital infrastructure replacement; and 0.23 per cent for the Greater Victoria Public Library.
- Saanich will mail tax notices to property owners on title before the end of May 2018.
- Payment of taxes and annual homeowner grant applications are due on or before July 3, 2018.
The financial plan is available at saanich.ca.
Director of Finance
250-475-1775 ext. 5521