Residential Permits

Residential Permits are used to permit any work on single family or two family (duplex) dwellings, garden suites and accessory buildings. This could include entirely new buildings, or renovations and additions to these types of buildings.

A complete application includes:

  1. Five complete sets of plans.
  2. Completed application form (see permit categories below to select the correct application form).
  3. Current certificate of title dated within 30 days plus copies of any encumbrances registered against the parcel (Covenants, Rights-of-Way).
  4. New Home Warranty (new houses, duplexes, and garden suites only)
  5. Owner signature or if you’re not the owner, an Agent's Authorization from the owner.
  6. Application fee
  7. BCESC Pre-Construction Energy Compliance Report (new houses, duplexes, and garden suites only)
  8. Archaeological approval from the Archaeological branch of BC before you can start any excavation work on your property. Approval must be received prior to issuance of your permit. You can request this information about your property here.

If your project includes a Secondary Suite by way of an addition or conversion of non-living space to living space in an existing Single Family Dwelling, please refer to our Secondary Suite Checklist and Secondary Suite Handout.

For questions about trees and development, applying for tree permits, and the Tree Protection Bylaw contact Saanich Parks.

New Buildings

If you are planning on building an entirely new structure, a building permit (new) is required. New building project types include:

  • Single family dwelling
  • Single family dwelling – Rooms for Family Members
  • Single family dwelling – Secondary Suite
  • Garden Suite (apply for a Development Permit first)
  • Accessory building measuring more than 10 sq.m. (107 sq.ft.)
  • Duplex

Each building you wish to build requires a separate building permit.

Application Form: New Building


If you are planning on building an addition to an existing building, a building permit (addition) is required. Addition project types include, but are not limited to:

  • Enclosing a carport
  • Converting a non-living space (e.g. garage) to living space
  • Enclosing a deck
  • Additional floor area
  • Sunroom
  • Constructing any new exterior walls

Application Form: Residential Additions


If you are planning on renovating an existing building, a building permit (renovation) is required. Renovation project types include, but are not limited to:

  • Covered deck
  • Adding, removing, or changing interior walls
  • Exterior changes to windows, doors or cladding
  • Fire damage repairs
  • Enclosing a carport to create a garage
  • Secondary suite within an existing building (no additional floor area)

If your renovation project involves adding new floor area, it is considered an addition. Please see the Additions section above.
Application: Residential Renovations


If you are planning on building or modifying a deck on a Single Family Dwelling or Duplex, a building permit is required. Deck project types include, but are not limited to:

  • Add new deck
  • Reconstructing an existing deck (same dimensions and location)
  • Enlarging an existing deck
  • Decreasing an existing deck

Application: Residential Decks


If you are planning on demolishing a structure on your property that measures more than 10 m2 (107sqft), a demolition permit is required. Each structure on a property measuring more than 10 m2 (107sqft) requires a separate permit.

It is important to get a permit for demolitions so that BC Assessment removes the structure from your tax assessment.

Application: Residential Demolitions


Project Fee Calculator

This calculates the application fee for a project. The balance of the building permit fee will be payable upon issuance of the permit.