March 12, 2020
The District of Saanich is prepared to handle potential impacts and service disruptions from COVID-19.
As the situation unfolds, we will continue to monitor credible sources and will work with our provincial and regional partners. It’s important to note that Saanich is not the lead agency on COVID-19; we will take direction from the Province and the Medical Health Office.
As of March 6, we took the proactive approach to activate our Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) before any impacts occur in Saanich. At this stage, the role of the EOC is to assist with planning efforts and sharing information.
At this time, no meeting, event, or program cancellations or facility closures are planned. We will communicate to the public as quickly as possible should service disruptions occur. We encourage the public to visit saanich.ca as well as our corporate social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter) for updates.
The BC Centre for Disease Control and the World Health Organization report that hand washing is the most effective way to stop the spread of COVID-19.
A reminder to our staff and residents:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, especially with unwashed hands;
- avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- cough and sneeze into a tissue or your sleeve and not your hands;
- stay home if you are sick, especially if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, to avoid spreading the illness to others; and
- practice social distancing (e.g., keeping a two metre distance and avoid touching others).
As a preventative measure, we are reviewing and adjusting our cleaning protocols. High contact surfaces will receive more frequent cleaning in all municipal facilities.
Please visit the following sources for credible information about COVID-19:
- World Health Organization
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Government of Canada’s Travel health and safety
- Saanich Emergency Program pandemic information
Emergency Operations Centre