Saanich appoints new Capital Regional District and Hospital District Board Director
April 25, 2017
For Immediate Release
Saanich, BC ‒ Saanich Council has appointed Dean Murdock as a new Capital Regional District (CRD) and Hospital District Board Director.
Mr. Murdock has served as a Saanich councillor since 2008 and assumes the Board seat previously held by Vic Derman, who served from 2005 to 2017.
In line with past practice, Saanich Council’s decision is based on the results of the vote from the 2014 municipal election.
- Saanich’s alternate directors, as appointed in 2014, are councillors Haynes, Sanders, and Wergeland.
- The CRD is governed by a 24-member Board of Directors that is supported by more than 75 committees and commissions.
- The Board is composed of one or more elected officials from each of the local governments within the CRD's boundaries.
- Each local government has one director position on the Board for every 25,000 people (or portion thereof). Mayor Richard Atwell, Susan Brice, Judy Brownoff and Colin Plant continue to serve as directors appointed by Saanich.
- The directors also sit as members of the Capital Regional Hospital District Board.
- The Board provides a political forum for representation of regional residents and communities and a vehicle for advancing the interests of the region as a whole.
- Board meetings are held once a month and are open to the public.
CRD Corporate Communications