Environmental Development Permit Area RFP awarded
December 7, 2016
For Immediate Release
Saanich, BC – Saanich Council has selected Diamond Head Consulting to undertake a review of the Environmental Development Permit Area (EDPA).
“Improving the bylaw aligns with Saanich’s ongoing commitment to the protection and restoration of rare ecosystems and vital habitats, while mitigating financial impacts on property owners,” said Paul Thorkelsson, Chief Administrative Officer. “We look forward to working with Diamond Head Consulting on this important work.”
The scope of work will include:
- Review the bylaw and make recommendations for improvement.
- Compare Saanich’s EDPA bylaw to other municipalities.
- Prepare a draft report outlining potential recommendations.
- Prepare a final report with potential solutions for Council’s review and deliberation, based on feedback received.
- Saanich is home to many of B.C.’s threatened and endangered species – including one of the top three most endangered habitats in Canada: Garry Oak ecosystems.
- Many municipalities have an EDPA in place to protect the environment.
- Only 5% of private properties in Saanich are within, or partially within, the EDPA.
- 52% of the EDPA in Saanich is located on public land (mostly parks).
- Saanich Council adopted the EDPA Bylaw in March 2012.
- After a public check-in process held from June 2016 to February 2016, Council moved to hire a consultant to review the EDPA Bylaw.
- For more information about the EDPA Bylaw, please visit: Saanich.ca/edpa
250-475-5494 ext. 3444