The Animals Bylaw 8556 [PDF - 3 MB] requires that all dogs over the age of four months have a valid licence.
Starting the 2023 licence year, the Municipality now contracts the CRD Animal Services for enforcement of the Animal Bylaw. We will be issuing permanent dog tags, just one tag number is issued and will remain the same each year if renewed. The permanent tags will still require annual renewal.
Dog licences go on sale at the beginning of each year and are valid until December 31. You will receive a $5.00 discount when you renew before February 1 of each year. For residents whose dogs were licenced by the Municipality the previous year, dog licence reminder notices will be mailed out at the start of the year.
Why does my dog need a licence?
- A dog licence is identification for your dog.
- It is the fastest way to reunite you with your lost dog.
- Licensing is a mandatory requirement for all dogs over the age of four months.
- Owners of unlicenced dogs can be fined up to $200.00.
- Petiquette Perks Rewards Program – a program created to say thank you to the CRD Residents who licence their pets. Licenced dog owners will receive discounts from participating businesses by simply showing their ‘Petiquette Perks’ rewards card at the time of purchase. You will receive this card upon purchase or renewal of your dog licence.
- For more information and participating businesses, please visit Petiquette Perks Rewards Program | CRD
Why Permanent Tags?
- Your licence number will remain the same, therefore the database will always be up-to-date.
- Current information is available 24/7 if your dog is found with a licence.
- Convenience of paying your licence online. Once you receive your renewal in the mail you can simply pay it using our online system.
- Better quality – the tags are now made of stainless steel and have a life span of 7-10 years.
Renew your dog licence
By Mail: Mail your cheque and bottom portion of your dog renewal notice to 770 Vernon Avenue, Victoria, BC V8X 2W7.
Drop box: There is a secure slot at the entrance of the Municipal Hall near the parking lot. The slot is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for cheque payments only.
In person at the Municipal Hall: You can pay in person at the Municipal Hall using cash, cheque, Interac or credit card.
Online: You can renew your dog licence online, using the account number on your invoice. Payment can be made online by credit card only, we cannot take payments over the phone.
New dog licences
- Submit a new dog licence application. If you have more than two dogs please contact us at 250-475-5484 to register.
(on or before Februray 1)
(after February 1)
If your dog has been neutered or spayed within the last 12 months, or is a guide dog with a current Guide or Service Dog Certificate, the licence is free.
Contact us by phone or e-mail, and we can provide a replacement tag for $5.
You can access information about your dog account through MySaanich. To register, you will need your account number and access code, which will be on your dog licence renewal notice.