Saanich ShakesOut! Get ready to drop, cover and hold on
October 11, 2023
For Immediate Release
Mayor Dean Murdock and Emergency Program Officer Erin Stockill discuss the Great BC ShakeOut in advance of October 19, including how to participate, prepare and plan.
Saanich, BC – Saanich is encouraging residents to take ShakeOut a step further this year. Once you have participated in the drill, prioritize updating your emergency plan, emergency kit and grab and go bags.
The Great British Columbia ShakeOut is an annual opportunity for individuals, communities, schools and organizations to practice essential earthquake safety measures.
“Beyond the ‘drop, cover and hold on’ drill, residents are encouraged to update their household emergency plan and kits,” said Erin Stockill, Emergency Program Officer. “It’s important for residents to understand when to evacuate and when to shelter in place. After an earthquake, if it is safe to stay where you are, do so and ‘shelter in place’, otherwise exit slowly and safely, watching for hazards such as broken glass. Don’t forget your grab and go bag!”
As part of the ShakeOut drill on October 19, 2023, Saanich staff will practice earthquake safety along with over 1 million British Columbians at 10:19 a.m. Whether at home or at work – residents are encouraged to plan, prepare and participate.
“Saanich’s website, along with social media, are key communication channels during emergency situations” said Stockill. “We encourage residents to check out our emergency notification page demonstration on saanich.ca as part of ShakeOut on October 19.”
- Saanich showcases the emergency notification page on saanich.ca twice per year: on ShakeOut Day and during Emergency Preparedness Week in May.
- This page is enabled in the event of an emergency and provides residents with important information prior to accessing any Saanich web page.
- For more information or to register for ShakeOut BC, please visit: shakeoutbc.ca.
- To view the emergency notification page during ShakeOut BC, please visit: saanich.ca.
- Attend Preparedness 100 – Speaker Series! We’re hosting Christine Buttkus, Executive Director of the BC Earthquake Alliance on October 24, from 7:00-8:00 p.m. at Gordon Head Recreation Centre. Register for this presentation online or call 250-475-7100.
- Attend a Preparedness 101 presentation on November 6 from 7:00-8:00 p.m. at G.R. Pearkes Recreation Centre. Register for this presentation online or call 250-475-5400.
- To learn more about emergency preparedness, presentations or volunteering with the Saanich Emergency Program, contact 250-475-7140.
Social Media Channels:
- Follow Saanich Fire on Twitter: @SaanichFire
- Follow Saanich Emergency Program on Twitter: @SaanichEP
Captain Erin Stockill, Emergency Program Officer
Saanich Fire Department