Facilities for Our Future; a Strategic Facilities Master Plan
Did you know that our municipal buildings [PDF - 3 MB] support the health, safety and well-being of our community? They’ve served us well for decades and now we need to make sure they continue to meet our changing needs in the decades to come.
The District of Saanich is working on a 20-year Facilities Master Plan, and we want to share what we have learned and what we need to do in the future.
Step One – Review Material
The draft Strategic Facilities Master Plan [PDF - 8.8 MB] identifies our facility requirements and prioritizes what we need to do. The document also incorporates the feedback we gathered from the public in May of this past year. You are invited to read the draft plan and offer input to the proposed framework. You can participate in this process by:
- Coming to one of our scheduled pop-up engagements
- Viewing the draft plan and overview materials:
Please take a few moments to look at the information so that you have a better appreciation of the plan.
Step Two - Take our survey
Once you’ve had a chance to go through our related background materials, we’ll ask you a few short questions to make sure we capture your input. Alternatively, you can receive a paper copy at the Municipal Hall or at one of our pop-up engagements. Thank you, your input is important to us.
Want to chat in person? Join us at one of our pop-up engagement sessions, coming to a Saanich facility near you!
- November 22, 10:30 – 1:30, Municipal Hall
- November 26, 11:00 - 2:00, GR Pearkes Recreation Centre
- November 28, 3:30 - 6:30, Saanich Commonwealth Place
- November 30, 11:00 – 2:00, Cedar Hill Recreation Centre
- January 15, 1:00 – 4:00, Municipal Hall
- January 18, 9:00 – 12:00, Gordon Head Recreation Centre
- January 20, 10:30 - 1:30, GR Pearkes Recreation Centre
- January 22, 3:00- 6:00 - Saanich Commonwealth Place
- January 25, 4:00-7:00 - Cedar Hill Recreation Centre
How will my feedback be used?
Public feedback will help shape the final document. Your questions and comments will ensure that our Strategic Plan reflects the needs of Saanich residents and facilities users.
Why do we need a plan?
- Saanich’s quality of life is supported by the services and programs that are delivered from our many municipal facilities. Many of these services are essential and our maintenance and management of the facilities is a key element to providing the services that Saanich residents pay for.
- Just as homeowners need to maintain their properties to protect their investment, we need to do the same as a municipality. We are developing a strategy that ensures our buildings will continue to meet our community’s evolving needs.
- Reacting to the repair and maintenance needs of individual buildings as they arise is not efficient or cost-effective. Our plan considers a more comprehensive view of our facilities to make the best decisions about where and when to invest.
What you need to know
The Strategic Facilities Master Plan will be a template for managing Saanich facilities for the next twenty years. Included are the following three objectives:
- Ensure delivery of services
- Undertake facility work for maintenance, renovations and new construction affordably and sustainably.
- Quantify and rank priorities with a view to reducing risk and maximizing benefits.
We’ve analysed our significant facilities by looking at:
- Facility capacity: Do our buildings have an adequate amount of space to operate out of for the next twenty years?
- Building condition: Some of our buildings are fifty years old and we have maintained them well, however, how much more do we need to do?
- Risk to services: We have many front line, emergency services-delivering facilities (Police, Fire, Public Works); will they adequately perform under stress?
Where is this headed
The final master plan document is expected to be presented to Council for adoption in early 2018.