Facilities for Our Future
Did you know that our municipal buildings support the health, safety and well-being of our community? They’ve served us well for decades and now we need to make sure they continue to meet our changing needs in the decades to come.
The District of Saanich is working on a 20-year Facilities Master Plan, and we want to share what we have learned and what we need to do in the future.
Step One - Review material
The survey can only be taken once you have had an opportunity to go through our related background materials:
Please take a few moments to look at the information so that you have a better appreciation of our approach.
Test your knowledge of our Saanich facilities and take this fun True or False quiz [PDF - 357 KB].
Step Two - Take our survey
Once you have sufficiently reviewed the material, please take a few moments to complete the short survey. Alternatively, you can receive a paper copy at the hall or one of our pop-up engagements.
Thank you, we need your input
We can’t measure how we’re doing in this process without your input. Your participation in our 4-question survey is a key measurement tool.
Want to chat in person? Join us at one of our pop-up engagement sessions, coming to a neighbourhood near you!
- May 3, 12 - 3, Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Ave. (ground floor lobby)
- May 5, 10:30 - 1:30 Saanich Commonwealth Place, 4636 Elk Lake Dr. (front entry lobby)
- May 6, 10:30 - 1:30, GR Pearkes Recreation Centre, 3100 Tillicum Rd. (front entry lobby)
- May 9, 8:30 - 11:30 , Cedar Hill Recreation Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Rd. (front entry lobby)
- May 10, 1 - 4, Police-Fire Headquarters, 760 Vernon Ave, (front entry lobby)
- May 11, 9:30 - 12:30, Gordon Head Recreation Centre, 4100 Lambrick Way (front entry lobby)
- May 16, 11 - 2, Saanich Centre, 3995 Quadra St. (outside near Starbucks)
- May 17, 2 - 5 University Hts. Mall, 3980 Shelbourne St. (east entry courtyard in front of Save-On Foods)
- May 18, 12 - 3, Uptown Mall, 3440 Saanich Rd. (centre plaza courtyard)
- May 19, 10:30 - 1:30 Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Ave. (ground floor lobby)
- May 23, 4-7 - Saanich Commonwealth Place, 4636 Elk Lake Dr.
- May 25, 3:30-6:30 - G.R. Pearkes Recreation Centre, 3100 Tillicum Rd.
Why do this?
- Saanich’s quality of life is supported by the services and programs that are delivered from our many municipal facilities. Many of these services are essential and our maintenance and management of the facilities is a key element to providing the services that Saanich residents pay for.
- Just as homeowners need to maintain their properties to protect their investment, we need to do the same as a municipality. We are developing a strategy that ensures our buildings will continue to meet our community’s evolving needs.
- Reacting to the repair and maintenance needs of individual buildings as they arise is not efficient or cost-effective. Our plan considers a more comprehensive view of our facilities to make the best decisions about where and when to invest.
What you need to know
The Strategic Facilities Master Plan will be a template for managing Saanich facilities for the next twenty years. Included are the following three objectives:
- Ensure delivery of services
- Undertake facility work for maintenance, renovations and new construction affordably and sustainably.
- Quantify and rank priorities with a view to reducing risk and maximizing benefits.
We’ve analysed our significant facilities by looking at:
- Facility capacity: Do our buildings have an adequate amount of space to operate out of for the next twenty years?
- Building condition: Yes, some of our buildings are fifty years old and we have maintained them well, however, how much more do we need to do?
- Risk to services: We have many front line, emergency services-delivering facilities (Police, Fire, Public Works); will they adequately perform under stress?
Where is this headed and why it matters to you
There will be two rounds of public engagement prior to review and discussion of the final draft document.
- First we want to give an overview of why we’re creating the plan as well as a general report on the condition of the facilities. This is scheduled for late spring, 2017.
- You’re invited to the various pop-up engagements to learn more and meet with staff who can answer questions and take comments. Scheduled events can be found listed in our events calendar.
- The second phase will be the opportunity for the public to review the draft master plan. This is scheduled for early fall.
Our goal is to provide the public with opportunities to learn about the plan’s rationale and process.
We want everyone in our community to be part of the conversation about our municipal buildings. After all, they belong to you, and you benefit from them every day.