Long range planning and policy research support the vision for Saanich’s future growth identified in its Official Community Plan (OCP). In addition to the OCP, community planning research provides Mayor and Council and Committees of Council with professional analysis and advice on planning-related issues.
Community planning initiatives are undertaken collaboratively with community stakeholders such as community associations, businesses, and public agencies to advance Saanich planning initiatives.
The key community planning initiatives that are helpful in achieving Saanich’s community vision include:
- Sustainable Saanich Official Community Plan which is the main guiding document for Saanich’s future growth and change with a 30 year horizon;
- Local area plans which guide neighbourhood growth and provide a deeper level of detail to the OCP;
- Special planning policy initiatives and research on emerging issues and policy challenges;
- Plans for Centres and Villages which are designated in the OCP;
- Heritage and Public Art programs; and,
- Community demographic data and statistics.