Update - October 23, 2017: Governance Review Completed
During the November 15, 2014, municipal election, 88 per cent of those who voted in Saanich indicated support for a community-based review of the governance structure and policies within Saanich and its partnerships within the Region. In response, the Governance Review Citizen Advisory Committee (GRCAC) was established by Council to conduct an independent review and report back in Fall 2017.
A key objective of the committee is to consult broadly with the community to obtain a diversity of feedback.
Accomplishments to Date
Numerous opportunities were available for the public and stakeholders to participate in the review. The formal public engagement process was launched February 9 and concluded June 15.
- Public survey and other online consultation, resulting in 250 survey responses (March to June);
- Two public workshops and two Town Hall meetings, involving 122 participants (April and May);
- "Pop-up" events at shopping centres (Tuscany Village, Uptown), UVic, Camosun College, Saanich Cycling Festival (April to June);
- Targeted engagement meetings with groups such as students (UVic), seniors, Community Associations, Saanich Community Association Network (SCAN), Saanich Advisory Committees, retired Saanich Councillors;
- Regional government outreach through a presentation at the CRD Governance Committee;
- Written submissions to the committee at email@example.com; and
- Presentations and discussions at the regular monthly GRCAC meetings.
The Committee has spoken with a number of individuals and groups, has heard from a few hundred people, and will continue to be available to those who wish to share their ideas. The GRCAC has been impressed with the amount of thoughtful, considered input received, and appreciates the time that people have taken to participate in the engagement process.
While the broader public consultation process has concluded, the GRCAC and consultants from Sirius Strategic Solutions will continue with targeted engagements over the next few weeks.
In addition, the next phase of activity includes:
- Review and analysis of the data collected from the different streams. i.e.,
- survey responses, (quantitative and qualitative data)
- feedback from public meetings and other engagement sessions, and
- comments and submissions provided directly to the committee.
- Report to Council
- public input will be considered in the GRCAC’s deliberations and the development of recommendations for Council
- report to Council is planned for October 2017
The public is welcome to attend the regular meetings of the GRCAC, held the last Wednesday of each month. Schedules, agendas and minutes are available online. Meetings are held in the Kirby Room, Saanich Police Station, 760 Vernon Avenue.