Many things can cause sewer or drainage damage.
- A problem in your private system.
- A problem in the municipal system.
- Damages to both systems from things like storms or blockages.
What Should I Do First?
Call a licensed plumber right away.
Homeowners must determine where the blockage is located within the sewer connection. It doesn’t matter if it's on private or public property.
Note: Your plumber must call Fortis Gas through BC One Call (1-800-474-6886) before auguring or using any clearing tools in the sewer or drain connections. This will ensure no further damage happens.
Here are a couple of reasons why they need to do this:
- WorkSafe Bulletin: The danger of explosions when clearing sanitary or storm sewers
- WorkSafe Bulletin: The dangers of cross bores when directional drilling
If the plumber clearly identifies the blockage is on our side, contact Saanich Storm and Wastewater. The plumber must stay on site to help as needed.
What Should I Do Next?
- Minimize any more damage to personal property. For example, remove undamaged items from the area if it’s safe.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible. Find out if your policy provides coverage.
- Arrange for cleanup as soon as possible. You can pay for this yourself or go through your insurer.
- Sewage can create health hazards. You may need professional help. Look for damage restoration companies in the telephone directory.
- Emergency Assistance Information — Flooding, Drainage and Sewer Backup Brochure [PDF - 828 KB]