Wastewater is the mix of liquid and solids that we flush down toilets and drain down sinks every day. This material travels through our sanitary sewer system and into the regional sewer system. The Capital Regional District (CRD) treats our sewage.
Sewer System Facts
- 550 km of sewer mains carry wastewater from one point to another by gravity.
- 30,000 service connections link homes and businesses to the sanitary sewer system.
- 5,240 manholes let us access and maintain the system.
- 40 pump stations pump wastewater from lower to higher elevations.
- Odour control protocols address issues as needed.