You need a Tree Cutting Permit to alter, cut, or remove some trees in Saanich. Scroll down to go directly to the application form or read through some background information first.
- See our Overview and Introduction of the Tree Protection Bylaw [PDF - 3.9 MB].
- View the full Tree Protection Bylaw [PDF - 214 KB].
- Do you have an arborist report? Make sure it contains all the details we require. See our arborist report guidelines [PDF - 148 KB]. Send it to us at email@example.com.
- Do you require a replacement tree? Check out our Tree Selection Toolkit [PDF - 11.2 MB] to assist in picking the best tree for your location.
Please note: we only perform a visual inspection on private trees in order to process tree permit removal or significant pruning (altering) requests. Retain the services of an arborist for a detailed assessment of your tree.
If you are needing a tree removed as part of a development permit, Saanich Parks will be informed when your permit is processed and ready for review. Do not submit a separate request as it will not be processed.
You do not typically need a Tree Cutting Permit to perform basic pruning on a protected tree when done in accordance with sound arboriculture practices. We recommend you consult with a ISA Certified Arborist.
You do need a Tree Cutting Permit to prune a:
- Designated Significant Tree;
- Tree in a Covenant Area;
- Tree in an Environmental Development Permit Area (EDPA);
- Tree in a Steep Slope area;
- Performing significant pruning on a tree.
Please send any supporting documents (e.g., pictures, arborist report, drawings) to firstname.lastname@example.org and make sure you include your address to let us know where it's for!
This collection of personal information is authorized under the Local Government Act, Community Charter and Section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The information will be used for processing this permit application. Questions can be directed to the District’s Privacy Officer at: 770 Vernon Avenue, Victoria BC, V8X 2W7, t. 250‑475-1775, e. email@example.com