A Significant Tree can be:
- Outstanding specimen;
- Rare species;
- Historical significance;
- Significant row or grove;
- Wildlife habitat.
We have more than 150 Signficant Trees [PDF - 392 KB] in Saanich.
How We Choose Significant Trees
We review nominations every quarter from:
- Saanich staff;
- Environment and Natural Areas Advisory Committee (ENA) members.
In addition, we also consider the health and structural condition of the tree. When a tree is deemed significant, an brass identification tag is attached to the trunk of the tree in a prominent location.
Do you think a tree qualifies?
Complete our nomination form [PDF - 172 KB].
The owner of the property that the tree is on must approve of this nomination and sign off on the application form.
Significant Tree Grant Program Guidelines
Significant Tree owners can apply for grants to assist with some of the costs:
- Hazard abatement;
- Tree health care.
The grant may cover up to 50% of these costs.
Am I eligible?
You may be able to receive a grant if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You have a designated Significant Tree;
- Your property taxes are not in arrears;
- You have homeowner’s insurance for your property.
How do I apply?
Send us a completed application form, accompanied by supporting documentation and photos.
Download the grant program application form [PDF - 33 KB].
Owners may only apply ONCE each fiscal year per property. Each application may contain more than one project.
You can apply for emergency tree work any time.
What do I need?
- A completed Significant Tree Grant Program Application Form [PDF - 33 KB]
- A copy of an approved tree permit from Parks.
- Three estimates for the proposed work as outlined in the tree permit from Parks.
- Photos of your tree before the work starts. See Photograph Guidelines below.
Where do I send my application?
Send your completed Significant Tree Grant Program Application Form [PDF - 33 KB] to:
Attn: Tree Grant Program
1040 McKenzie Ave
Victoria BC V8P 2L4
When will I receive grant approval?
We review applications four times a year. We notify the application in writing of our decision.
If you receive grant approval, you must notify Parks of any proposed changes to your original application.
When the work is done?
Parks staff needs to inspect the work. E-mail us at email@example.com or call 250-475-5522
The following will be required:
- A completed Declaration of Project Completion form [PDF - 31 KB].
- A copy of the paid invoice.
- Photographs of the completed project. See Photograph Guidelines below.
When do I get the grant money?
You’ll receive payment once the ENA Committee approves the grant payment.
- Photos must be in colour. We accept both prints and JPEG files.
- We require photos of the tree before starting and after finishing the work.