The B.C. Building Code requires fire safety plans for buildings:
- That contain fire alarm systems, a high number of occupants and care and detention occupancies.
- That store or handle flammable or combustible liquids.
- Where hazardous processes are performed.
- Which are a demolition and/or construction site.
Fire safety plans:
- Help fire fighters with the layout and hazards associated with a building.
- Help occupants evacuate faster during a fire.
- Indicate if there are any special requirements to help occupants evacuate.
Fire Prevention members are available to help building owners develop or update their fire safety plans.
- Fire Safety Plan Sample for General Occupancies [PDF - 776 KB]
- Fire Safety Planning for Construction and Demolition Sites – Emergency Management B.C. Information Bulletin
- Guidelines for Safety Plans at Construction and Demolition Sites [PDF - 157 KB] – Saanich Fire Department
- Watch a YouTube inspection preparation video clip