Open house & discussion sessions
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017
- 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Cedar Hill Golf Clubhouse
- 1400 Derby Road
Help us develop ideas for local government action to enhance agriculture and improve food security in the future.
Reserve a place at the discussion table. Contact Jane.firstname.lastname@example.org 250-475-5494 ext. 3401.
Planning & public engagement process
A planning process is under way to develop an Agriculture and Food Security Plan for the District of Saanich. This represents an exciting opportunity to build on some recent Saanich initiatives and develop a plan to ensure the long term sustainability of Saanich agriculture and food systems.
The plan will be developed over a 12-15 month period with a completion targeted for early 2017. A task force of nine representatives from the community with expertise in agriculture or food security have been assembled to provide guidance. There will be numerous occasions for members of the public to provide input on key issues, opportunities and priorities. Public engagement is ongoing and will include an open house, a public survey, meetings with stakeholders, and Saanich staff attendance at community events.
Follow the progress of this planning project below. Contact Jane Evans, Planner at email@example.com if you have any questions or comments.
Current Status of Agriculture & Food Security Planning Project
Next steps – January 18, 2017:
Public open house & discussion sessions:
Join us January 18, 2017, 2pm at Cedar Hill Golf Clubhouse (1400 Derby Road) for a public open house and discussion sessions. We will review draft key themes and identify possible action that can enhance Saanich agriculture and improve food security in the future.
Five key themes identified by the Agriculture & Food Security Task Force and Upland Consulting, based on public and stakeholder engagement in 2016, are:
- Connecting Gaps in the Local Food System to Improve Food Self-Sufficiency
- Strengthening Local Awareness of the Local Food System
- Improving the Interconnection between Food Production and the Environment
- Managing Land Use to Support Farmland
- Supporting Multi-Generational Farmers and Emerging Farmers.
Reserve a place at the table:
Contact Jane Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-475-4594 (3401) to reserve a place at the discussion tables.
- 2:00 - start of open house.
- 2:30 - presentation by Upland Agriculture Consulting.
- 3:00 - Table discussions.
- 4:00 - Wrap up.
Information boards with background information, survey results and Key Themes will be provided for public review and comment sheets available for input as part of the open house segment of the afternoon.
A Key Themes Study [PDF - 286 KB]has been prepared following a review of the feedback received from public engagement during Phase 2 of the planning process (see September notes below). The Task Force, Upland Consulting, and Saanich staff have identified possible action that would fall under each key theme proposed. These ideas will be presented to the public and stakeholders through December and January to review and involve people in identifying possible Municipal action towards the enhancement of agriculture and improvement of food security.
Please attend our January 2017 Public Open House and Discussion Sessions. Exact date and location to be announced.
The Agriculture & Food Security Task Force, Upland Consulting and Saanich staff will draft key themes and recommendation for action that will reflect the vision statement for the plan and the feedback received from the survey, public engagement events and stakeholder meetings. The key themes for the plan will focus on issues that the District will be able to provide leadership on as a local government. The next public engagement phase for the project will be the opportunity to review and comment on the key themes and recommended action.
An Agriculture & Food Security Community Survey was available online from May 22 to July 31, 2016. The survey was developed to seek input from the public on what the opportunities and challenges are for agriculture and food security in Saanich and the surrounding region. A total of 289 responses were received. Survey results [PDF - 534 KB] are available for the public to review.
Uplands Agriculture Consulting prepared a Public Engagement Summary [PDF - 632 KB] for Phase 1 & 2 of the project. A review of the survey results [PDF - 356 KB] and notes from stakeholder meetings [PDF - 308 KB] are included as Appendices 1 & 2.
Thank you to everyone who attended our open house and who completed our survey. Results from the open house can be viewed here [PDF - 51 KB].
The Task Force drafted a Vision Statement [PDF - 53 KB] for the plan and drafted definitions [PDF - 139 KB] for agriculture and food security and carried out a SWOT [PDF - 74 KB] (Strenghts, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis.
First Agriculture & Food Security Task Force meeting is held to discuss the Public Engagement Strategy [PDF - 213 KB] for the project. The Draft Background Report [PDF - 6.8 MB] is available for review and comment.
Nine community members have been selected to sit on an Agriculture and Food Security Task Force that will assist in the development of the Plan. The Task Force members have a range of backgrounds and expertise and will serve as a vital resource throughout the project.
Upland Agriculture Consulting Ltd. has been hired to manage the planning process and facilitate the task force in the development of the Agriculture & Food Security Plan for Saanich.
- Key Themes Study [PDF - 286 KB]
- Review of the Survey Results [PDF - 184 KB]
- Saanich Map showing Urban Containment Boundary [PDF - 1.2 MB]
- Public Engagement Summary – Phase 1 & 2 – view public engagement strategy [PDF - 632 KB]
- A&FS Community Survey Results – view phase 2 survey results [PDF - 534 KB]
- Stakeholder meeting notes – view stakeholder meeting notes [PDF - 308 KB]
- May 26, 2016 Public Open House Info Boards [PDF - 1.4 MB]
- Open house public input summary - May 26, 2016 [PDF - 51 KB]
- Draft Background Report February 2016 [PDF - 6.8 MB]
- Task Force SWOT Analysis April 2016 [PDF - 74 KB]
- Definitions (draft) - View draft definitions for A&FS Plan [PDF - 139 KB]
- Vision Statement (draft) - View draft Vision Statement for A&FS Plan [PDF - 53 KB]
- Public Engagement Strategy – View public engagement strategy [PDF - 213 KB]