Explore Saanich Archives WWI Documents
Visit our Collections & Research page to view WWI references in the following:
- Saanich Council minutes (1914 – 1921)
- Annual Reports (1914 – 1919)
- Oral History Interviews
- other Saanich Archives collections
Explore correspondence and ephemera from Saanich Archives relating to the First World War in these links:
- Letter suggesting location for Saanich Honour Roll [PDF - 7.1 MB]
- Letters to Municipality submitting names for inclusion on Saanich Honour Roll [PDF - 796 KB]
- Military envelope, August 1918 [PDF - 2.8 MB]
- Victoria Patriotic Aid Society certificate [PDF - 941 KB]
- Request by soldier for Municipality to forward tax notice overseas [PDF - 11.8 MB]
- Explore more WWI documents
How to Get Involved
We are looking for volunteers to help with this project. Here’s how you can help:
- Choose one of the Saanich World War I soldiers.
- Let us know who you are researching.
- We will send you a list of links to the soldier’s attestation papers, personnel file, and other resources to get you started.
- Send us the biographical information you discover.
- We’ll add it to the website and our reference collections at Saanich Archives.
Resources for Volunteers
- Soldiers of the First World War - search attestation papers
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission - search for war dead
- A City Goes To War - search database of service records for Greater Victoria soldiers
- Saanich 1921 & 1911 Census Project Documents
- 1918 Saanich Voters List [PDF - 1.4 MB] - arranged alphabetically in wards
- Saanich postal stations [PDF - 16 KB] in 1918
- 1912 Henderson's Greater Victoria City Directory (Vancouver Public Library website)
- 1920 Henderson's Greater Victoria City Directory (Vancouver Public Library website)
- BC Archives Genealogy - search birth, marriages, deaths in British Columbia
- FamilySearch.org - search birth, marriage, and death records
- British Army War Diaries - search and download unit war diaries held at the National Archives UK
- British Colonist - search index of historical Victoria newspapers
- Biographical form [PDF - 17 KB] for submitting information on a Saanich WWI veteran who is not listed on the Honour Roll
- "So That None Shall Go Unrecorded" -- Saanich Remembers World War One, Exhibit at the Arts Centre at Cedar Hill, October 17 - November 12, 2018.
- 100 Years of Remembrance, November 4, 10 am to 3 pm, Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site
- 2018 Fall Lecture: November 7 at 1 pm, Saanich Centennial Library, "Street of Unfinished Dreams: A History of Shelbourne Street", presented by Valerie Green. Event poster [PDF - 3 MB]
- Memorial Avenue Rededication Ceremony, 29 September 2018 at 10:15am, corner of Shelbourne and San Juan
- 2017 Fall Lecture Series:
- October 27 at 1pm, Nellie McClung Library, "Street of Unfinished Dreams" (history of Shelbourne Street / Memorial Avenue), presented by Valerie Green
- November 1 at 1pm, Saanich Centennial Library, "Local Heroes of World War One", presented by Bart Armstrong. Event poster [PDF - 427 KB]
- Vimy100 at the Bay Street Armoury (9 April 2017). Read coverage in the Saanich News: Saanich Archives joins in salute to Vimy Ridge (6 April 2017). Read Saanich Archives Vimy100 Newsletter (4 April 2017)
- Friends of the BC Archives - presentation titled "Saanich Remembers: Community, Memory, & Commemoration" (15 January 2017). Second talk at Saanich Council Chambers on January 25, 2017 at 2pm as part of the Saanich Celebrates Canada 150 "From Farming to Future" 2017 events.
- Exhibit commemorating 100th anniversary of the Saanich WWI Honour Roll, Saanich Municipal Hall (January 2017)
- 2016 Fall Lecture Series
- Friday, October 21 at 2pm, Saanich Centennial Library: "Half-Starved and Brutalized" - Canadian POWs in World War I, presented by Yvonne Van Ruskenveld
- Wednesday, November 2 at 2pm, Saanich Centennial Library: Researching First World War Soldiers, presented by Steve Clifford
- Sunday, November 6 at 2pm, Nellie McClung Library: Women in WWI, presented by Kate Humble
- Wednesday, November 23 at 10:30am, Saanich Centennial Library: Workshop - Researching First World War Soldiers, presented by Steve Clifford
- Bay Street Armoury 100th Anniversary Event - display and information table (21 Nov 2015)
- Saanich Remembers World War One exhibit, Saanich Municipal Hall (Nov 2015)
- 2015 Fall Lecture Series at the Saanich Centennial Library
- 2014 Lecture Series at the Saanich Centennial Library with speakers: Ray Travers, Shelbourne Memorial Trees (2 Oct 2014); Yvonne Van Ruskenveld, WWI Nursing Sisters (24 Oct 2014); Sidney Allinson, Bantam Regiments in WWI (7 Nov 2014)
- Saanich at Home & Overseas, 1914-1918, Exhibit at the Arts Centre at Cedar Hill (Aug 2014)
- Remembrance Day Exhibit, Saanich Municipal Hall (Nov 2014)
- Western Front Association Pacific Coast Branch – presentation of the Saanich Remembers WWI Project by Caroline Duncan & Ray Travers (Feb 2014)