Drive safer this winter by being prepared
January 3, 2019
For immediate release
Saanich, BC – Severe winter weather doesn’t always mean snow and ice. Heavy rain and winds are forecast for the region and Saanich is encouraging all residents to be mindful of all winter driving conditions by offering some winter driving safety tips.
Tips for driving in winter conditions
- Check conditions before you leave – visit drivebc.ca for current conditions.
- Keep a safe distance – make sure there is plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
- Ensure your wipers are in good condition. Visibility is a priority.
- If you don’t already have them, get winter tires–winter tires provide better traction, handling and braking abilities.
- Slow down and give yourself extra time–drive according to the road conditions and don’t rush.
- Clear snow and ice from your vehicle - clean all windows, mirrors, lights and the roof. Wait for any foggy windows to clear up so your visibility isn't poor.
- Learn how to recover from a skid - how your vehicle responds to a skid depends on whether or not it has rear wheel, front wheel or four wheel drive.
- Contact BC Hydro at 1-800-BCHYDRO (1-800-224-9376) if trees or branches interfering with power lines.
How Saanich manages ice and snow
- Prior to snow and ice: Saanich pre-treats the roads with an anti-icing brine to help melt any snow that may fall or frost that forms. The brine applied to roads can be effective for up to three days in ideal weather conditions.
- When snow and ice are present: When snow accumulates and streets are wet, Saanich uses de-icing treatments such as salt to melt the snow. In lower sub-zero temperatures, sand may also be used for traction on snow or ice. Plows are used to remove snow during heavy snowfall events on a prioritized schedule.
- Saanich crews ensure priority routes are treated first. These include emergency access routes major roads, priority bus routes, steep residential hills and priority sidewalks and bridges.
Director of Engineering, District of Saanich
250-475-1775 ext. 5446