Strategic planning is an important activity that Council undertakes. This process sets the goals which will shape and guide Saanich during their term in office. The Strategic Plan is firmly grounded in the spirit of our Vision, Mission and Values and our Official Community Plan (OCP).
The Strategic Plan is created using many inputs, including:
- the responses that you provided in our business and citizen surveys;
- the conversations that our elected officials had with residents during the election campaign; and
- the many plans and strategies that have been developed with your help through extensive public participation processes over the years. Examples of these plans are:
A key part of the Strategic Plan is the ability to measure the progress that has been made, which makes Saanich governance more accountable and transparent. Our Strategic Plan has three types of indicators:
- Long-range indicators measure broad outcomes like greenhouse gas emissions and critical infrastructure assessment. We review targets and reports on progress every five years.
- Mid-range indicators help to identify important trends over time like number of hectares within the agriculture land reserve (ALR) and citizen satisfaction with police and fire services. We review targets and report progress every three to four years.
- Annual indicators focus on short-term targets established in the Strategic Plan each year and are measured in the Annual Report the following year. Examples of this are kilometres of new sidewalks and bike lanes installed and number of business licences issued.
Strategic planning process
- The strategic planning process begins when we create a Vision statement. This expresses the dreams and hopes of Saanich citizens for our future.
- We then craft the OCP. This umbrella document provides Saanich with our overall values, vision, direction and focus.
- Next comes the Strategic Plan. This document outlines the initiatives that we will focus our energy and resources on. The plan maps out the actions we'll undertake to achieve the Vision. Each initiative aligns with one of the three OCP Community Theme areas: environmental integrity, social well-being and economic vibrancy.
- Council approves the Financial Plan. This funds not only the Strategic Plan activities, but also our ongoing operations.
- This is where we provide the information and show accountability to Saanich residents. We share strategic, financial and operational progress reports to citizens through the Annual Report.